Re: in-proc <-> out-of-proc

On 07Sep2001 09:01AM (+0200), Jens Finke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> probably these are a dumb questions, but anyway:
>
> When will be a component handled as in-proc and when as out-of-proc?
> As acomponent writer, what do I have to do to support one or the other?
>
> Since this notion is used a lot in recent discussions on several lists I'd
> really like to know the differences.  Maybe someone can enlighten me
> on this. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jens,

To make an out-of-proc component, you generally implement an exe
server which contains a factory server. You specify the executable
that implements the factory in the .server (or .oaf for gnome1) file.

To make an in-proc component, you compile it as a shared library. You
specify the shared library that implements the factory in the .server
file.

Nautilus has examples of both of these styles: the tree view is
in-proc, the music view is out of proc. Most of the setup can be found
in libmain.c for the tree view and main.c for the music view (most of
the guts of that are actually in libnautilus, in
nautilus_view_standard_main).

 - Maciej