Re: accessebility suggestion for Ubuntu 6.06 LiveCD

Bill Haneman wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 12:41, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Our plan is to go ahead with the new technology and deal with the problems as they arise.

If by this you mean that you will ship SOK in preference to GOK in
Ubuntu, I think you are making a mistake.

SOK will be installed by default and GOK will be an installable option.

I still haven't seen a complete use case with a description of the users needs and an example of where it fails (like specific applications where a problem occurs and the hardware used).

Have you tried SOK yet? And specifically you should try running it next to GOK to experience the difference.

SOK has a few limitations, but also a range of advantages over GOK:

* More flexible layout - the layout files are quite easy to modify in Inkscape so you can have a range of different layouts. Switching between them is easy.

* Scalable - Just grab the corner and change it to the size you want so you can optimise your screen usage.

* Less general clutter. Extra keys (like function keys) appear on a separate keyboard level so they do not take up valuable screen space. The window does not keep changing shape as you navigate the desktop or the keyboard itself. No scary warning boxes.

* Works with tablet PCs - because it just uses the core pointer from X. I predict that these devices will increasingly be used as assistive technology.

* Non-latin input is more feasible because it has full unicode support (which I guess GOK has as well right?) and the more flexible layout allows you to have 50, 100 or even 200 hundred keys on the screen. Using multiple levels you can acomodate thousands of symbols.

* Much simpler codebase, written in python. This makes it easier to fix bugs and add new features. A much smaller install size, which is good for Live CDs.

* We are adding a flexible macro and script system that lets you attach a simple text-entry macro or a more complicated python script to any key.

* Looks nicer :) You can customize it in an SVG editor with the colours and layout you like.

* Finally it just runs more smoothly IMO, most likely because of the Cairo rendering.

In my opinion sticking with old technology for too long is a mistake because you loose out on opportunities to innovate.

We haven't make any attempt get this into Gnome 2.16 as I could see that there would be strong opposition, but I think we can make a good case for Gnome 2.18.

- Henrik