Ubuntu Dapper Drake for AMD64 and speech

Hi,
Has anyone managed to run Gnopernicus on Ubuntu 5.1 or later for AMD64?
I couldn't get gnome-speech to work on a previous 5.1 installation which runs stable otherwise. Now I am trying to start the life CD of Dapper Drake with the blindnes option (by pressing f5 on the first screen and then selecting "blindnes"). I don't get any speech output at all. Running Gnopernicus from a shell produces an "application gets closed due to an error" screen.
My soundcard is working just fine and I have no general X-Windows problems.
I doubt that there's anything to do wrong during startup of the life CD and since all other parts of the system are working fine I wonder if anyone has tried the 64 bit version at all.

Any hints?
Regards Roland