Re: few questions

Jason Grieves wrote:...

Interesting take on this. I was discussing this with a friend and I guess we can both see the pros and cons to having an accessibility "center". You hit the two major problems we talked about. Most people do not want to identify as "disabled" to change features that might not even be considered accessibility and 2, it interferes with the Gnome Guidlines. Your idea about a profile for setting accessibility/profile settings is a great idea. I look foward to seeing how that pan's out. Its just hard trying to convince friends/disabled community (especially older folks) that Linux is beginning to provide FREE assistive technology for blind, low vision, or mobility impaired users. They don't see some of the same tools they have been using for many years.

I wonder what features they are missing?

We already have an 'Accessibility' button in the main keyboard preferences dialog which opens the Keyboard Accessibility Settings dialog, key-repeat is duplicated in the Keyboard Accessibility Settings dialog, and the Keyboard Accessibility Settings "MouseKeys" section includes a button which takes you to the main Mouse Preferences dialog. So we're already pointing these different sections to one another.

One other area where we might want to "point" from one dialog to another concerns the Theme dialog, which currently does not point to the Font dialog.

The problem with creating a 'user profile' system is, again, that users may not think of themselves as falling into a particular category. What, for instance, would we call a group of settings which was intended to assist "older users", i.e. slightly bigger fonts and mouse pointer, different mouse click settings, etc. ? I for one don't really like to suggest that I'm getting older when I set up my laptop <wink>.

Bill