Re: few questions

Jason Grieves wrote:

Hi Bill (and all),

I am not quite sure if my last emails went through as I had some major email problems. If these are repeats, pardon me.

1) Has an accessibility "options" center been discussed in Gnome before? Similar to what Microsoft has in the control panel, along side with a wizard? I know older and less technical welcome the wizards and configuration assistants. It would not seem to hard to do, but I realize it could provide some discrepencies with non-accessible users. Would there be 2 places to change the same feature? I.e. keyboard accessibility via Preferences> Keyobard versus lets say a tab with the AccessX features

We have resisted, for the most part, the temptation to put all of the features that are of interest to accessibility into a special "Accessibility" section. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that many relevant features are of general interest, the fact that some users don't self-identify as disabled, and our desire not to "ghettoize" accessibility. However, some sort of wizard or user-config helper would be useful, I agree. I think the best way to do this is via a general purpose "user profile" capability for the Gnome desktop, but this is still a project for the future. In general Gnome's Human Interface Guidelines say one should avoid having two separate dialogs which change the same feature.

2) Bill does the magnifier need to be recompiled to work with the extensions (i.e. Damage) you spoke of?

Yes, it must be built on a system that has the extensions, in order to use them. On most OS'es this should be true, because most distros will probably be running a recent XOrg server when building. However there is no guarantee that this is true. If the magnifier was built without DAMAGE or COMPOSITE support, it will report this when started from the console in standalone mode, i.e. if you run "magnifier -v -m" the magnifier should report if it was compiled without DAMAGE or XFIXES support.

Bill