Recommendations

Title: Recommendations

Guys

After coming out of the wood work earlier on, I think now is an ideal time to ask you for your help and advice.

I have a visual impairment and both my work and home PCs are Microsoft based running software which gives me:

- screen magnification (normally running at 3 to 4 times mag
- screen colour enhancements - inverting screen colours so that I read white on black
- screen reader using a sound card

I am looking to move my home PC from just Microsoft to a dual boot for which I have got all the necessary hardware, but the only thing stopping me from going Linux is the lack of suitable software.

From recent postings I get the impression that there are 2 camps, those who use their Microsoft based applications on an emulator, and those who run bespoke software.  I would much prefer the latter to the former but to get me up and running would consider both in the first instance.

Can anyone out there give me any recommendations / thoughts / feelings on the best way forward?

Apart from myself I am aware of at least another 2 members of UK LUGs who are in the same position so any help would be very much appreciated.

If you need more information just ask.

Thanks

Ian)