Re: gnome-speech and proprietory software synthesizers.

Hi Marc

At 10:51 PM 21/05/2004, Marc Mulcahy wrote:
Hi Luke,

The difficulties in gnome-speech are a bit complex - if you make a spec
file that builds various gnome-speech packages, such as:

Actually, spec files do not concern me. I am a Slackware user. However, I do understand where you are coming from, as one usually uses bash scripts to build Slackware packages anyway, and this would bring up the same issue.

gnome-speech
gnome-speech-devel
gnome-speech-java
gnome-speech-festival

etc...

Using this sort of spec file, the source RPM will only build on a system
where all the supported TTS engines are installed.  And since some of them
are proprietary, the free distributions won't touch such a spec file or
source rpm.  So if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  I'm a
bit stumped on this issue.

The only thing I can think of is to possibly create one or more configure arguments or make targets to specifically build the proprietory drivers, so that third parties can package those gnome-speech drivers for others to use.

Hope this is of some help.

Luke