Re: Mozilla - like JAWS or like Hal?

Hi Krister,

I think the layer concept is a good idea but the way it is implemented now
is clunky at best. In my opinion, there should be four layers: a mouse
layer, a speech control layer, a braille control layer, and a magnifier
control layer. The mouse layer should combine the functions of current
layer zero and layer five--that is, the ability to move between objects
and click the mouse.

The keypad layers are completely re-assignable. I encourage you to play with this! These settings are stored in the gconf database for Gnopernicus (.gconf/apps/gnopernicus).

Could a non-programmer like me understand the data to reassign in order for these changes to take effect? I've never gotten the hang of presentations, and so i fear that it's just as messy and incomprihensible to go in and dig around in the designing of layers.

From the main Gnopernicus menu/window, choose Preferences->Command Mappings. In the Layers tab there is a table listing each key on each layer, and the command assigned to it. Go to the row containing the layer/key you want to modify, and choose the Modify button (Alt-M), and then select the comment you want to be at that layer/key from an alphabetical list of commands.

Hmmm... This has me wondering: would a popup menu be better here? (certainly it would be faster for a mouse user...).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Sun Accessibility team