Re: follow up to trouble compiling Gnopernicus 0.7.3

Scott Berry writes:
 >  I am using Debian and this is a first time compiling
 > Gnopernicus if possible since I am rather new to Linux as well if I could
 > please get more detailed steps this would be very much appreciated.
 >
 > Package gconf-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
As root:
apt-get install libgconf2-dev

In general, you need to install the "development files" of all the
libraries needed to compile gnopernicus. http://packages.debian.org/
allows you to search for Debian packages and should help you to find
the development packages you need.

By way of further explanation: Debian separates the library headers
required to compile programs that use a particular library, from the
actual library shared object files that are used when a program is
executed. To run programs that need the library, you only have to
install the latter, but to compile them you need the headers etc., and
hence the development package, as well.

Compiling gnopernicus is complicated because it has so many
dependencies on other software, mostly components of Gnome. Debian
already has a Gnopernicus package, which can easily be installed, so
that end-users won't have to deal with all of the dependencies
themselves; but for those of us who want to work with the latest
gnopernicus code we have to get the dependencies sorted out.