Much better now!

Well, I finally bit the bullet and re-built all my accessibility
libraries.  In other words, Atk, At-spi, Gail, and Libgail-gnome.  Now, I
can use Nautilus and Gedit fairly well.  There is just one little issue
left.  Gnopernicus isn't handling unknown stuff like it did on the ACB
demos.  For example, I tried the exercise of opening Nautilus to my home
directory and discovered I couldn't read anything in the Layered pain
until I switched to a list view.  In the demo, Marc could read the layered
pain, but Gnopernicus would say "unknown" after each item.  After
switching to a list view, I tried to load a text file that I had created
in Gedit.  Instead of being able to open it with Gedit after the text
viewer was launched, Gnopernicus went silent, and the X session apparently
hung.  I got this on the console which sounds more like a bug in Nautilus
than Gnopernicus.
application finalize called

(nautilus:29965): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtktreeview.c: line 9924
(gtk_tree_view_get_cell_area): assertion `GTK_WIDGET_REALIZED (tree_view)'
failed

After that, it was back to what has become almost my standard way of
logging out of X.  You know, hitting either control-C on the console where
the messages go, or alt-control-backspace combination, then killing the
processes left over.  Oh well, this is a lot farther than I got it before
and now, I can begin writing up the steps I took to get this far.  Any
ideas about the silent icons and whether it was Gnopernicus or Nautilus
that blew up?