Re: gnopernicus startup error

Hi Chris,

You don't have to start the server.

What you have to do is follow the next 4 steps:
1. Make sure you have FreeTTS installed on your machine.
1.1.If you don't OR you have it from the FreeTTS download page I recommend
you to get it from their CVS (SourceForge) anonymously:

$ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous cvs sourceforge net:/cvsroot/freetts co FreeTTS
(There is no password, so just press "Return".)

More instructions on how to do this is at:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=42080

1.2 If you have FreeTTS installed on your system jump to step 3.

2. Build FreeTTs
2.1. copy speech.properties from source-dir of FreeTTS to your home directory
2.2. in the source-dir run "make"
2.3. in the source-dir run "make jars"

3. get gnome-speech from gnome's CVS:
$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome
$ cvs login
(There is no password, so just press "Return".) You only need to run this
command once , not every time you access CVS.

$ cvs -z3 co gnome-speech

4. Build, compile and install gnome-speech with FreeTTS support:
4.1. Configure
$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=dir_where_gnome_stack_is
--with-freetts-dir=dir_which_contains_FreeTTS'_jar_files
(eg:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome-2.2 --with-freetts-dir=/FreeTTS/lib)
4.2. Compile
$ make
4.3 Uninstall old drivers
$ make uninstall
4.4. Install new drivers you've just built
$ make install
4.5. Test gnome-speech
$ test-speech

If this test of gnome-speech is working with FreeTTS driver there should be
NO problem running gnopernicus with FreeTTS.

> I'm using freetts but don't know if I have to start a speech server first
> as they do for festival.
For festival you don't have to start the speech server either, but have
"festival" binary somewhere in your PATH (so it can be found)
Test if you have it somewhere "accessibile" by typing "festival in the
command line:

$ festival

If festival is running this way ( if (SayText "testing festival") works fine)
than you will have no problem using festival driver with gnopernicus.

> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Chris

HTH && Best regards,
Adi Dascal