exception during registry activation

Hi all
Can someone tell me what this error means?
GTK Accessibility Module Initialized.
** ERROR **: Accessibility app error: exception during registry activation from id: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/OBJECT_NOT_EXIST:1.0
Aborting...
After this error comes up, gnome shuts down and will not start. It goes away if I remove gail, but of course I can't use
anything without gail. As soon as I put gail back in, this error
comes back. Also, I do not get this error as root, only as a normal user. From what little I can understand, it's looking
for something and can't find it. But I've no idea what file or directory it's trying to find. I can easily duplicate this
error on both my RH9 and slackware systems. all it takes is to log out of gnome via the shutdown or restart options.
Occasionally it will work right again, but more often than not, this error comes back.
I also occasionally see this error, in place of the one above:
GTK Accessibility Module Initialized.
** ERROR **: Accessibility app error: exception during registry activation from id: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
Aborting...
The only fix I've found is to repeatedly remove and reinstall gail. For whatever reason, after doing this quite a few
times, this error goes away and gnome works properly again. Does anybody know just what's going on here? I tried updating
everything to the latest CVS, but the problem persists. Has anyone ever duplicated this and been able to resolve it?

Many thanks in advance