Re: Gnopernicus...again!

Howdy,

OK, now we've got more progress. Maybe.

Seems gnopernicus runs (after a fashion) as root user. When I run startx, I hear stuff which seems to relate to controls used to minimize/maximize windows, but that's about it. My keyboard doesn't seem to respond properly either--I've set X for PC101, US key layout, no other variants. However, it may be important to note that I'm also running Speakup, which I've disabled. (This however doesn't do anything with the Speakup keymap.)

Running startx as a normal user yields some bunch of errors that are
not, for some reason, being recorded to .gnome-errors (I believe is
the correct filename), therefore I can't produce them verbatim. The
gist is something like GNOME can't make some ncessary changes, sound
may not work,. ... Sorry, I know that that's not useful. In any case,
no speech, but plugging a monitor in, my wife saw the errors and a
desktop screen after we got rid of the errors, or so it appears.

So. To get my keyboard working correctly, should I put something in to
load an alternate keymap (i.e. the non-Speakup one), or did I select
my X keyboard wrong, or what? And any other ideas would be
appreciated, vague as this report is.

Not there yet, but it's looking a darn sight better than it was.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV/3   | "And if the ground yawned,
Phone: (814) 455-7333     | I'd step to the side and say,