Re: Unsupportable ATK interfaces??

Hi Padraig,

> This suggestion is different from Peter's in a later email which proposes, in
> essence, that the ATK interface should fail silently (and hopefully
> gracefully) if an implementation is not provided.
>
> Marc proposes somthing more ambitious, i.e. that we attempt to tell the caller
> that the interface is not supported. Do we need to do this?

I don't have a strong opinion on this.  The contract needs to be clear, and the
failures obvious.  There is not a whole lot of difference between:

  if ((result = someAtkCall()) == false) {
    return;
  }

and

  if ((result = someAtkCall()) == (void *) 0) {
    return;
  }

Now, if we want to make the return values ints, and have a set of error
conditions that's quite another matter...

Peter