[g-a-devel] gnome-mag with composite support

Hi All,

After a while trying to make gnome-mag works with composite to do full
screen magnification I percepted that a lot of bugs where due to the
initial implementation that I was doing, i.e., I add a new event
handler, like the event handler to care about damage notifications, to
manage events that notify window changes, so a new screen must be
composed. I start to get in troubles because damage notifications and
operations with the windows are very tied, since the damage extension
was one of the first steps to have a window system with good support to
do composition. So, I decided to merge the event handler that I write
and the damage notifications handler.

Today I terminated the implementation and I'm using the magnifier for
more then 20 minutes and it's working good (I'm typing this mail with
the magnifier actived). I also realized a lot of operations in the
environment, like workspace swap, maximize, minimize, open applications
like openoffice and edit text in it, open gimp and edit images and any
gap appear in the screen, the magnifier worked smooth in all these
operations. Sometimes the magnifier answear to mouse movements get
slower.

I created a new file for this implementation called gmag-events.c and
the files damage-client.c and composite-client (the last is only posted
in bugzilla) aren't used anymore. In this new file there is the
necessary initialization and the event handler, something similar in
what is implemented in damage-client.c and composite-client.c. I
prefixed all functions in this file with gmag_, if this is not a good
prefix or if I'm broken any name convention, please let me know.

After that I realized that it's not much work to separate everything
related with X11 in a specific place, like a folder x11 that have in
others application, like gtk. To do this the only thing needed is move
the part related with pointer change notifications to gmag-events.c and
put this file in x11.

This code only works with X11R7.1. With some effort I think that it can
run in X11R7.0, but I'm really sluggish to do this, since the XComposite
ins't very stable and don't have the overlay window concept. I have to
look with more attention to the code before post it in bugzilla, but if
someone wants to play with it, a tarball can be downloaded from
http://www.gnome.org/~carlosd

Any feedback about this is very welcome.

Enjoy it,
Carlos.

http://br.mobile.yahoo.com/mailalertas/