Re: GnomePropertyBox

On 29Jun2001 04:16PM (-0400), John Kodis wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:28:18AM -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > On 29Jun2001 01:25PM (+0200), Dietmar Maurer wrote:
> >
> > > I think it is not always good to apply changes immediately.
> >
> > I think the case where it's not good to do so is very rare, if it
> > exists at all.
>
> One case where changes should not be applied immediately is in text
> fields.  In most cases there's no way to change from an old value to a
> new value without generating invalid intermediate values (e.g.,
> changing your gateway IP address from 128.183.27.1 to 63.42.15.1).
> Without some sort of "done-editing" signal to connect to, this case
> seems difficult to fit into the "apply immediately" way of doing
> things.
>
> I'll agree that this is an uncommon situation, and that the "apply
> immediately" approach is preferable, but there are a hand full of
> situations where I don't see an easy way to allow this to work.

I see your point. In fact, Mac OS X has a "save" button at the bottom
of the preference panel where you set your IP address and other
network settings, since it's possible to have a bad value. I think it
makes sense to do this for "settings" (where it's possible to have it
wrong or right), but not for "preferences" (where there are no "bad"
values).

Regards,

Maciej