Re: gnome-libs 2.0 API

On 23 Jun 2001, Martin Baulig wrote:

> The GNOME 2.0 version of GnomeMDI contains a (preliminary) version of
> window-in-window support (like in MS Office, for instance).

I was hoping that this was considered a dead-end and is removed from
libgnomeui. First, the way I remember it is implemented is totally
X-unfriendly in that it draws its child windows by itself into a single
window, thus having its own WM and whatnot.

Second, I think this is a horrible user interface. Now, you could say that
I should simply not use it, but then I see this API entry point:
void gnome_mdi_set_mode (GnomeMDI *mdi, GnomeMDIMode mode);
which means some crazy dude on the other side of the globe can decide
that I want to see window-in-window MDI in his app.

BTW, this third point is valid in itself regardless of window-in-window
MDI.

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001