Re: GNOME 1.x and 2.0 interoperability issues

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Ravi Pratap M wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 	After going about patiently trying to get a working GNOME 2 setup
> for myself, there are a number of issues that I have run into and I would
> like to highlight them so that these can be corrected ASAP.
>
> 	All the various problems I have run into so far indicate that
> GNOME 1.x and 2.0 environments cannot be installed in the same prefix (and
> this needs to be fixed).  There are a number of reasons for this and they
> are highlighted :

Yes, this needs fixing.

> 	* Building gnome-vfs gives me this :
>
> In file included from /usr/include/orb/orbit.h:62,
>                  from /usr/include/liboaf/oaf.h:7,
>                  from /usr/include/liboaf/liboaf.h:34,
>                  from gnome-vfs-mime-handlers.h:29,
>                  from gnome-vfs-application-registry.c:47:
> /usr/include/orb/dynany.h:271: parse error before `*'
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> /usr/include/orb/dynany.h:272: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class
> /usr/include/orb/dynany.h:275: parse error before `CORBA_NameValuePairSeq'
> In file included from /usr/include/orb/orbit.h:69,
>                  from /usr/include/liboaf/oaf.h:7,
>                  from /usr/include/liboaf/liboaf.h:34,
>                  from gnome-vfs-mime-handlers.h:29,
>                  from gnome-vfs-application-registry.c:47:
> /usr/include/orb/sequences.h:36: parse error before `*'
> /usr/include/orb/sequences.h:36: warning: data definition has no type or
> storage class
> make[2]: *** [gnome-vfs-application-registry.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/gnome-vfs/libgnomevfs'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/gnome-vfs'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>

> 	gnome-vfs is on -Werror but how did Sander get it to build ?

Well, if you look at the errors, orbit.h and oaf.h are coming from
/usr/include while as I gather from the rest of your mail, gnome-2.0
things went into /opt/gnome2

Orbit and oaf inteerfaces changed - you need to make sure the relevant
paths go to the include list and get included (it should happen, not sure
why not in your case).

> 	When I don't want gcc to look into /usr/include but instead look
> only at /opt/gnome2/include how do I do that ?
>
> 	While building gtk+ from HEAD however, the deps files tell me that
> it uses the headers in /opt/gnome2/include and not the ones in /usr. How
> is this done ?

The pkgconfig files do that.

> 	Well, I can't proceed with libbonobo building either because of :
>
> bonobo-moniker-util.c: In function `lookup_naming_context':
> bonobo-moniker-util.c:973: structure has no member named `_id'
> <snip>
> make[2]: *** [bonobo-moniker-util.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/libbonobo/bonobo'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/gnome2/src/libbonobo'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Umm... libonobo doesn't appear to depend on gnbome-vfs but instead on
Orbit2 (or ORBit-martin-forked) so it looks like that either you didn't
build and install it or your pkg-config does find the package files...

> 	Michael ?
>
> 	Regards,
>
> 		Ravi
>

> --
> "If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
> who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."
>
>               -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest
>
> 	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi che iitm ac in>
>                       <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>

	Sander

One day a tortoise will learn to fly
	-- Terry Pratchett, 'Small Gods'