Re: [Nautilus-list] Re: GNOME user environment brainstorming

On Monday 04 June 2001 23:44, Luke Hutchison wrote:
> Calum Benson wrote:
> > >
> > > Because not everyone is physically able to use a mouse...
> >
> > Or wants to take the hands away from keyboard just to open another
> > file, make a small change and save it...

[...]
> The trouble is that virtually noone on this list has actually used this
> feature before so noone knows how useful it is in practice.  I've said
> enough about it, so I'm not going to carry on like a broken record..  I
> urge you all to try out the Rox desktop (not just the Filer) on
> http://rox.sourceforge.net -- it is not vapourware, it's here now and it
> works (very well), it is GNOME-compliant but adds many of its own
> features as copied from RISC OS (so not everything in GNOME is
> ROX-compliant).  I'm not associated with the ROX authors in any way (I
> only discovered it the other day), it just does several things the way I
> think they should be done.
>
> I will rant no more on this topic...!

I agree I'd like to have a drag and drop way to save files, too. I used frag
and drop in Windoze a lot while still using it. It is nice sometimes.
And actually in my "things i like to see in gnome" file there is:

- visible drag source for documents in apps

Just say you work on some project, and have to directory open all the time
anyway. Now you start an Application and make some document. Now if you use
File->Save As... you have to navigate to that directory, with Drag and Drop
you just move your mouse a bit. Much easier i suspect. Of course the
"traditional" File -> Save As... dialog is needed, too.

	martin