Re: Switching to ORBit2 .... ?

Martin Baulig <martin home-of-linux org> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> this afternoon, I spent some time trying to port ORBit-martin-forked
> to the new ORBit2 API, especially the DynAny stuff. After playing
> around with this stuff, I realized that this'd be a whole lot of work
> since ORBit-martin-forked's IDL compiler doesn't support PIDL.
>
> So, for the moment, we need to keep these ugly ORBit conditionals in
> libbonobo(ui) and libgnome(ui).
>
> However, it looks like ORBit2 is now under active development and
> getting more and more stable. So what about completely switching to
> ORBit2 ?
>
> Btw. if you're using vicious-build-scripts, there's now a new
> `gnome-test' environment which uses ORBit2:
>
>     $ . ~/bin/gnome-test
>     $ CVSUSER=<whatever> bootstrap.sh
>     $ rebuild.sh
>
> and you'll get a GNOME 2 with ORBit2 in /gnome/test.

If ORBit2 is basically useable, the fastest way to get it really
useable is just declare that we are using it and have everybody
use it.

As you know, I'm not fond of this "maybe X works today, or maybe
you should try Y, I had some luck with that" approach to
build dependencies ;-)

Making things work with ORBit-martin-forked is:

 A) If we use ORBit2 a waste of time
 B) If we end up not using ORBit2, something we should do when
    we make that decision.

Regards
                                        Owen