Re: Animator widget

Matt Aubury <matt ookypooky com> writes:

> Mmm, perhaps I've misunderstood horribly then. We're _not_ already using
> the GNOME 2.0 API (that would be daft) and don't expect to in the near
> future. But I would expect that (at some future point) I could compile
> our current source against the Gnome 2.0 compatiblity libraries and have
> it work just the same as against the main Gnome 1.4 libraries. If this
> isn't the point of libcompat, then I've missed something completely...
> (what then is the point?)

I'm a bit in a hurry at the moment, so I'll explain it in more detail
tomorrow. Basically libcompat is to help people porting their code to GNOME 2,
but to make GNOME 1.x code compile nicely on the GNOME 2 platform. libcompat
will contain things which are either heavily used all over GNOME or which are
really hard to rewrite (for instance GnomeApp etc.).

If something which has been removed in GNOME 2 is only used in one or two
applications, then it's better to move the compat implementation into this app
rather than putting it into libcompat.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)