Re: [gnet-dev] IPv6

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, zze-BROUCKAERT Xavier stagiaire FTRD/DMI/CAE wrote:
> I discovered gnet today...I'm happy you did it because I dreamt of it :-)
>
> I'd like to know if someone is already doing the IPv6 work on glib.
> What lacks to have complete IPv6 support ?
> I'd like to help but I'm far to being a guru...

It's mostly a matter of changing structures.  I actually got connected to
the 6bone a while ago, but I haven't gotten around to doing it.  My hope
was that someone who really needed IPv6 support would do it, test it, and
send us the patches.  :)

> For DNS lookups, do you think it's better to use gethostbyname2 or
> getaddrinfo ?
> I prefer getaddrinfo but it's buggy on Linux without USAGI...
> I don't know which one you used..

Actually, we try to use the appropriate variant of gethostbyname_r.
gethostbyname2 is GLibc specific, IIRC, and getaddrinfo is more common
(it's discussed in UNP and Windows has it).

David

--
      __          _    __ David Helder - dhelder umich edu
  ___/ /__ __  __(_)__/ / <http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dhelder>