Re: [gnet] --enable-glib2

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 10:18:12PM +0000, iain wrote (0.69):
> Just depend on people installing pkgconfig.

If David says to, then sure.  But there are reasons not to... David's
call on how important they are.

> > In this case, the autogen.sh script isn't going to do the right thing
> > for you iain,
> Except it should.

I'm inclined to think otherwise, since CVS snapshots come with the "if
it breaks, you get to keep both pieces" warrenty.  If this were
happening in a release, I'd agree that it would be a pain (but then, you
wouldn't be running autogen.sh, either, so it wouldn't matter).

> > (namely, aclocal needs to know about both glib.m4 and pkgconfig.m4 in
> > order to let autoconf properly generate the configure script).
>
> Well, thats just broken. You can't depend on both glib1 and glib2 to
> build from CVS, that's just stupid.

Except that we don't, since it obviously works for the people working on
Gnet, else it would have been fixed by now.  We depend on having glib1
installed where aclocal can find the macro defn, and we depend on having
pkgconfig installed so that we can find _that_ macro defn.  We don't
actually depend on glib2 at all.

> You can however require that people have pkgconfig installed, and that
> they have a recent enough glib (which is good, to fix bugs and parallel
> glib2 install problems).

Here's my problem with this:

Currently, we require developers to have a set of tools to build from
CVS that include pkgconfig and glib1.

pkgconfig is a buildtime test, so if we cut a release without including
the AM_PATH_GLIB, we're requiring people who just install gnet (and not
develop with it) to have pkgconfig around.

The way it's setup now, the generated configure script will do the right
thing, regardless of the build environment, at the (small) cost of
requiring that the developers have a slightly more rigorous setup.

But, this is David's baby, so it's really up to him.  I'm just the
autoconf monkey.

> I was going to use gnet in the new gnome-media (for gnome2), but if this
> isn't resolved, then I'm afraid I'll not be able to.

So, if I understand you properly, your build environment doesn't have
glib1 and glib2 installed in parallel?  Doesn't that break with the
whole GNOME2 will install next to GNOME1.x thing?