[gnet] G_IO_Condition on a iochannel for a socket

Hi,

It is not clear to me if this question belongs on this list or on the glib-list, so please forgive and correct me if this questions belongs to the glib-list.

We are not members of this mailinglist, so please cc: the reply to us.

I am participating in a small game-project. For this project we build a client/server, decided to use gnet and glib, and use TCP/IP as a network protocol.

Everything works fine, accepting connections, receiving data and so forth.
We use g_io_add_watch() to received socket/iochannel conditions.

But we noticed when the client-side hangs up the connection (tested with telnet), a condition G_IO_IN is issued on the server. There is no data to be received from the stream, so currently we used this condition and this last fact to assume the otherside of the connection has hung up. This solution seems to work fine for our test-cases, but I doubt it is the correct solution.

We initially expected a G_IO_HUP condition to be received when the otherside of the connection is closed.

We currently use the following versions :

glib version:    1.2.10-ximian.2
gnet version:    1.0.4-ximian.2

Could you shed some light on this curiosity?

Thanks,

Aschwin

--

  If I have been able to see further,
  it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants.

                                   Sir Isaac Newton