Re: [gedit-list] gedit 2.15.2 released

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 16:39 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2006 4:08 pm, Steve Fr�naux wrote:
> > gedit is the official text editor of GNOME
>
> And a fine editor! However, I am disapointed to discover,
> once again, how elitist the GNOME community is. I've opened
> a discussion some time ago about the fact that gedit,
> the default/official text editor of GNOME, is (ab)using
> tabs, in a manner that is not in the HIG spirit.

We discussed this problem a lot of times and I don't have much info to
add to the previous discussions. So, please search on the mailing list
archives and on bugzilla for threads of the same argument.

You wrote in your mail  "MDI almost
_forces_ me to use the mouse" and this is seems to me the most important
argument you posed. This is not true since you can change tab using
keyboard too, so no need to use the mouse.
BTW, you can partially change the gedit behavior modifying the
gedit.desktop file to use "--new-window"

> I was asked to explain why that is a problem. I did, as well
> as other people. We were silently ignored.

You were not silently ignored. We know some people do not like tabs, but
we as gedit developers, think that there is a vast majority of our users
that like them. Furthermore, no one is paying us to develop gedit or
donating money to the project. We offer our limited time trying to
develop a fine editor, but we really have not the time to duplicate part
of the code to support SDI and MDI behavior.

Ciao,