Re: [gdome]ANN: XML::GDOME 0.7.0

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, T.J. Mather wrote:

> This does introduce some thorny memory-management issues, like when
> XML::LibXML deletes the libxml tree while there are still some
> XML::GDOME structures that depend on that tree.

This is an issue that we tried to address in the past. The idea was to
have a simple callback function from libxml2 called whenever a libxml2
node is freed. In this way, a library like gdome2 could register its
callback function, and do anything necessary to free/change the structure
associated to the libxml2 node being freed. I think the whole thing would
require less than 20 lines of code to be implemented in libxml2, but
Daniel has always been recluctant to do it. This would simplify gdome2 a
lot, and I guess the same would happen to many other applications based
on libxml2.

The spirit of gdome2 was to hide totally the underlying implementation of
libxml2, so that on top of it applications don't have to worry about
issues such as memory management or node representation.

Cheers,

	luca