Re: how to change "Doubleclick on the user to log in"

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 08:46 -0700, George wrote:
> > I'd like to change this message into (e.g.)
> > "Click after your name in the dialogue box, and hit 'Enter'"
> >
> > I looked in various gdm directories but could not find where this text
> > is taken from. Do I have to go to the source and rebuild gdm?
> > Where will I find the prompt messages?
>
> Yes you would have to rebuild gdm, this is in the gui/greeter/ subdirectory,
> can't exactly remember which file.  Just grep for it.

Why should he not just change the string for his parents locale?

> The double double clicking is an annoying bug that I've been completely
> unable to reproduce as it has always just worked right for me.  I think this
> has to do with some failure with pam and some specific pam setup.  That is I
> suppose for some reason pam must refuse to initialize with a username the
> second time around and only does it the third time around.  I suppose some
> evil hack might work around this but since I haven't been able to reproduce
> this I can't quite test that out.

After discussing this with Richard, I took a shot at tracking this one
down too, my mom complains about it regularly.  Thats when I noticed
that it no longer happens on my box.  :)  I'll take a look at my mom's
the next time I'm over there to see if I can find some clues.  She tells
me its still doing it there.  They're both Gentoo, so its either an
upgrade that fixed it here, or some trivial configuration change that I
don't recall making.

--
Curtis Magyar