GDM man pages

GDM Developers:

Since gdm does not have man pages and we need them here at Sun, I went
ahead and threw together the attached man pages that I wrote for the
various GDM programs that are installed to /bin and /sbin.  Much of the
content came from the public documentation, so I included proper
attributes to the authors in the AUTHORS section.

I would appreciate any comments about how to make the man pages better,
information that should be included but isn't, errors in the text, etc.
The gdmXnestchooser and gdmflexiserver probably need the most review
since I am least familiar with using them (partially because gdm's
Xnest doesn't work on Solaris).  Also the gdm man page could probably
use more information like detail about what user ENVIRONMENT variables
it sets for the user logging in.

The attached pages are currently in ASCII format.  Once the text is
considered good enough, Sun's docs team will convert them to NROFF
format, and I can share those with you when they are done.

Some notes:

+ gdm.1 includes man pages for gdm, gdm-binary, gdmlogin, gdmgreeter,
  and gdmchooser.  I can split these up if you want, Breda, though I think
  it makes sense to keep them together.

+ gdmXnestchooser.1 is also a man page for gdmXnest (which is just
  a symbolic link to gdmXnestchooser).

+ gdmconfig.1M is a script that just launches gdmsetup.1.  So I put
  them in the same man page.  Not sure if this is okay since they are in
  different man subsections (gdmconfig is in /sbin and is in section 1M
  while gdmsetup is in /bin and is in section 1).

+ gdm-restart.1 is also a man page for gdm-safe-restart and gdm-stop,
  since they are all similar.  These scripts are also in sbin so I believe
  they belong in section 1M.

Thanks!

--

Brian
NAME

SYNOPSIS

       gdm-restart
       gdm-safe-restart
       gdm-stop

DESCRIPTION

        gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending the GDM daemon a HUP
        signal.  This command will immediately terminate all sessions and
        log out users currently logged in with GDM

        gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending the GDM daemon
        a USR1 signal.  This command will do nothing if there are users
        currently logged in with GDM.

        gdm-stop stops GDM by sending the GDM daemon a TERM signal.

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1),
      gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1M)

AUTHOR
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdm - GNOME Display Manager

SYNOPSIS
       gdm, gdm-binary [ -nodaemon ] [ --no-console ] [ --preserve-ld-vars ]
           [ --version ] [ --wait-for-go ] [ --monte-carlo-sqrt2 ]

       gdmlogin, gdmgreeter [ gnome-std-options]

       gdmchooser [ -xdmaddress=SOCKET ] [ -clientaddress=ADDRESS ]
                  [ -connectionType=TYPE ] [ gnome-std-options]

DESCRIPTION
       GDM is the GNOME Display Manager, a program used for login session
       management.  When no user is logged in the console, it displays a
       graphical user interface allowing the user to enter their username
       and password.  GDM supports XDMCP and supports flexible or on-demand
       servers via the gdmflexiserver(1) command.

       The gdm program is a wrapper script that launches gdm-binary
       passing along any options.  Before launching gdm-binary, the
       gdm wrapper script will source the /etc/profile file to set
       the standard system environment variables.  In order to better
       support internationalization, it will also set the LC_MESSAGES
       environment variable to LANG if neither LC_MESSAGES or
       LC_ALL are set.

       Upon startup the GDM daemon parses its config file gdm.conf. For each
       of the local displays gdm-binary forks an Xserver and a slave
       process. The main gdm-binary process will then listen to XDMCP
       requests, if so configured, from remote displays and monitor the local
       display sessions.  The main daemon process will also allow starting of
       on new local Xservers on demand using the gdmflexiserver(1) command.

       The GDM slave process opens the display and starts either the Graphical
       Greeter or the Standard Greeter.  This is set by the "Greeter" parameter
       in gdm.conf for console login and the "RemoteGreeter" parameter for
       XDMCP logins.  This parameter should be set to "gdmgreeter" to use the
       Graphical Greeter or "gdmlogin" to use the Standard Greeter.  The
       Standard Greeter is lower-bandwidth, so it tends to be more appropriate
       for remote logins.  The GDM daemon communicates asynchronously with
       the slave process through a pipe.

       From either the Graphical Greeter or the Standard Greeter it is
       possible to launch the Chooser program gdmchooser in order to start
       remote XDMCP login sessions.  Although disabled by default, it is
       also possible to launch the Setup program gdmsetup(1) in order to
       edit the configuration choices in gdm.conf.  The root password
       must be entered in order to launch the Setup program.  The ability
       to launch the Setup program is disabled by default since it does
       run with root permissions and allows gdm to be configured in ways
       that affect security.

       GDM relies on of PAM, Pluggable Authentication Modules for
       password authentication, but supports regular crypt() and shadow
       passwords on legacy systems.  On Solaris, logindevperm(4) is used by
       GDM to set proper device permissions for the user on login.

       All operations on user files are done with the effective user id of
       the user. If the sanity check fails on the user's .Xauthority file,
       a fallback cookie is created in /tmp.

STANDARD GREETER
       The Standard Greeter is the default graphical user interface that
       is presented to the user. The greeter contains a menu at the top,
       an optional face browser, an optional logo and a text entry widget.
       The Standard Greeter cooresponds to the executable gdmlogin.

       The text entry field is used for entering logins, passwords,
       passphrases etc.  It is controlled by the underlying daemon and
       is basically stateless. The daemon controls the greeter through a
       simple protocol where it can ask the greeter for a text string with
       echo turned on or off.  Similarly, the daemon can change the label
       above the text entry widget to correspond to the value the
       authentication system wants the user to enter.

       The menu bar in the top of the greeter enables the user to select the
       requested session type/desktop environment, change the GTK+ theme (if
       enabled) select an appropriate locale/language and optionally
       shutdown/reboot/suspend the machine, configure GDM (given the user
       knows the root password) or start an XDMCP chooser.

       Optionally the greeter can provide a face browser containing icons
       for all the users on a system. The icons can be installed globally
       by the sysadmin or in the users' home directories. If installed
       globally they should be in the <share>/faces/ directory (though
       this can be configured with the GlobalFaceDir configuration option)
       and the filename should be the name of the user, optionally with a
       .png appended.

       The users can place their icons in a file called ~/.face, and they can
       use the program gdmphotosetup(1) to graphically configure this.

       Face icons placed in the global face directory must be readable to the
       GDM user. However, the daemon, proxies user pictures to the greeter
       and thus those don't have be be readable by the GDM user, but root.

       Please note that loading and scaling face icons located in user home
       directories can be a very time consuming task. Especially on large
       systems or systems running NIS. The browser feature is only intended
       for systems with relatively few users. Also if home directories are on
       an on demand mounted filesystem like AFS, then GDM may mount all the
       home directories just to check for pictures if the face browser is on.
       GDM will try to give up after 5 seconds of activity however and only
       display the users whoose pictures it has gotten so far.

       To filter out unwanted user names in the browser, the "Exclude" parameter
       in gdm.conf can be set with a list of usernames separated by commas.  The
       greeter will automatically ignore usernames listed, and furthermore
       exclude users whose UIDs are lower then the "MinimalUID" parameter, 100
       by default.

       When the browser is turned on, valid usernames on the machine are
       inherently exposed to a potential intruder. This may be a bad idea
       if you don't know who can get to a login screen. This is especially true
       if you run XDMCP. However you should never run XDMCP on an open network
       anyway.

       The greeter can optionally display a logo in the login window. The image
       must be in a format readable to the gdk-pixbuf library (GIF, JPG, PNG,
       TIFF, XPM), and it must be readable to the GDM user.

GRAPHICAL GREETER
       The Graphical Greeter is a greeter interface that takes up the whole
       screen and is themable.  The Standard Greeter cooresponds to the
       executable gdmlogin.

       Themes can be selected and new themes can be installed by the gdmsetup(1)
       program or by setting the "GraphicalTheme" parameter in gdm.conf.  The
       location of themes is specified by the "GraphicalThemeDir" parameter.

       The look and feel of this greeter is really controlled by the theme and
       so the user interface elements that are present may be different. The
       only thing that must always be present is the text entry field as
       described above in the Standard Greeter.

       You can always get a menu of available actions by pressing the F10 key.
       This can be useful if the theme doesn't provide certain buttons when you
       wish to do some action.

CHOOSER
       The Chooser displays a list of local machines that will accept XDMCP
       connections.  The user can also specify a machine by entering its name
       directly.  Once a machine is selected, a remote XDMCP session can be
       started.  The Chooser can be launched on the console directly from
       the Standard or Graphical Greeter.  The chooser corresponds to the
       executable gdmchooser.

XDMCP
       GDM can be configured to enable XDMCP so that users can log in
       remotely and will launch a graphical chooser that allows a remote
       login session to be started.  Refer to the [xdmcp] section of the
       gdm.conf file.

       GDM will grant access to hosts specified in the GDM service section
       in your TCP Wrappers configuration file. GDM does not support remote
       display access control on systems without TCP Wrappers.

       GDM includes several measures making it more resistant to denial of
       service attacks on the XDMCP service. A lot of the protocol
       parameters, handshaking timeouts etc. can be fine tuned. The defaults
       should work for most systems, however. Don't change them unless you
       know what you're doing.

       By default GDM listens to UDP port 177, although this can be
       configured.   It will respond to QUERY and BROADCAST_QUERY requests
       by sending a WILLING packet to the originator.

       GDM can also be configured to honor INDIRECT queries and present a
       host chooser to the remote display. GDM will remember the user's
       choice and forward subsequent requests to the chosen manager. GDM
       also supports an extension to the protocol which will make it
       forget the redirection once the user's connection succeeds. This
       extension is only supported if both daemons are GDM. It is
       transparent and will be ignored by XDM or other daemons that
       implement XDMCP.

       GDM only supports the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 authentication system.
       Because of this the cookies go over the wire as clear text, and thus
       you should be careful about what network you use this on. That is,
       you should be careful about through where your XDMCP connection is
       going. Note that obviously if snooping is possible, then the
       attacker could just snoop your password as you log in, so a better
       XDMCP authentication wouldn't help you much anyway. If snooping is
       possible and undesirable, then you had better use ssh for tunneling
       an X connection anyway rather then using GDM's XDMCP. You could
       think of XDMCP as a sort of graphical telnet, having the same
       security issues.

CONTROLLING GDM
       You can control GDM behavior during runtime in several different ways.
       You can either run certain commands, or you can talk to GDM using either
       a unix socket protocol, or a FIFO protocol.

       Commands

       To stop GDM, you can either send the TERM signal to the main daemon or
       run the gdm-stop(1M) command which is in the /sbin directory. To restart
       GDM, you can either send the HUP signal to the main daemon or run the
       gdm-restart(1M) command which is also in the /sbin directory. To restart
       GDM but only after all the users have logged out, you can either send
       the USR1 signal to the main daemon or run the gdm-safe-restart(1M)
       command which is in the /sbin directory as well.

       The gdmflexiserver(1) command can be used to communicate with the GDM
       daemon and to start new flexible (on demand) servers.

CONFIGURATION
       The gdm.conf file contains comments that explain each configuration
       parameter.

SECURITY
       GDM is best used with a dedicated user id and a group id which it
       uses for its graphical interfaces such as gdmgreeter, gdmlogin, and
       gdmchooser.  You can choose the name of this user and group in the
       [daemon] section of the gdm.conf file.

       The GDM user, and group, which are normally just GDM should not be
       user or group of any particular privilage. The reason for using them
       is to have the user interface run as a user without privilages so that
       in the unlikely case that someone finds a weakness in the GUI, they
       cannot access root on the machine.

       It should however be noted that the GDM user and group have some
       privilages that make them somewhat dangerous.  For one they have
       access to the server authorization directory (specified by the
       ServAuthDir parameter in gdm.conf), which contains all the X server
       authorization files and other private information. This means that
       someone who gains the GDM user/group privilages can then connect to
       any session. So you should not, under any circumstances, make this
       some user/group which may be easy to get access to, such as the user
       nobody.

       The server authorization directory (the ServAuthDir) is used for a
       host of random internal data in addition to the X server authorization
       files, and the naming is really a relic of history.  GDM daemon enforces
       this dirctory to be owned by root:gdm with the permissions of 1770. This
       way, only root and the GDM group have write access to this directory, but
       the GDM group cannot remove the root owned files from this directory,
       such as the X server authorization files.

       GDM by default doesn't trust the server authorization directory and
       treats it in the same way as the temporary directory with respect to
       creating files.  This way someone breaking the GDM user cannot mount
       attacks by creating links in this directory. Similarly the X server log
       directory is treated safely, but that directory should really be owned
       and writable only by root.

ACCESSIBILITY
       GDM supports "Accessible Login" to allow users to log in to their
       desktop session even if they cannot easily use the screen, mouse,
       or keyboard in the usual way.  This feature allows the user to launch
       assistive technologies at login time by means of special "gestures"
       from the standard keyboard and from a keyboard, pointing device, or
       switch device attached to the USB or PS/2 mouse port.   It also
       allows the user to change the visual appearance of the login UI
       before logging in, for instance to use a higher-contrast color
       scheme for better visibility.  GDM only supports accessibility with
       the Standard Greeter, so the "Greeter" parameter in gdm.conf must be
       set to the Standard Greeter "gdmlogin".

       In order to enable Accessible Login, the system administrator must
       make some changes to the default login configuration by manually
       modifying three human-readable configuration files, stored in
       gdm.conf, AccessKeyMouseEvents and AccessDwellMouseEvents.

       In order to allow users to change the color and contrast scheme of
       the login dialog, make sure the "AllowThemeChange" parameter in
       gdm.conf is set to "true".

       To restrict user changes to the visual appearance to a subset of
       available themes, the "GtkThemesToAllow" parameter in gdm.con can
       be set to a list of acceptable themes separated by commas.  For example:

       GtkThemesToAllow=blueprint,HighContrast,HighContrastInverse

       To enable the use of assistive technologies such as the Onscreen
       Keyboard, Screen Reader, or Magnifier, the "AddGtkModules"
       parameter in gdm.conf must be uncommented and set to "true".  Also
       the "GtkModulesList" parameter must be uncommented and set to
       "gail:atk-bridge:dwellmouselistener:keymouselistener".

       System administrators may wish to load only the minimum subset of
       these modules which is required to support their user base.  Depending
       on the end-user needs, not all of the above GtkModules may need to be
       loaded.  If your end-users need the integrated Screen Reader and
       Magnifier, you must include "gail" and "atk-bridge".  If your
       end-users will be using a pointing device without buttons or
       switches, include "dwellmouselistener".  If some of your users will
       use pointing devices with switches, alternative physical keyboards, or
       switch/button devices, include "keymouselistener".  Including all four
       is suitable for most system configurations.  The Onscreen Keyboard can
       operate without gail and atk-bridge, but with a reduced feature set;
       for optimum accessibility we recommend including gail and atk-bridge.

       Once "keymouselistener" and/or "dwellmouselistener" have been
       added to the GtkModules loaded by GDM, you can assign end-user
       actions with the launching of specific assistive technologies.
       These gesture associations are contained in files
       AccessKeyMouseEvents and AccessDwellMouseEvents, respectively.
       The gesture format is described in the two files.

       The AccessKeyMouseEvents file controlls the keymouselistener
       Gestuer Listener and is used to define key-press, mouse button,
       or XInput device sequences that can be used to launch programs
       needed for accessibility.  In order to reduce the likelihood of
       unintentional launch, these 'gestures' may be associated with
       multiple switch presses and/or minimum durations.

       The DwellKeyMouseEvents file controlls the dwellmouselistner and
       supports gestures that involve only motion of a pointing device
       such as the system mouse of an alternative pointing device such
       as a head pointer or trackball may also be defined.   All gestures
       are specified by the same syntax; that is, there is no distinction
       between a 'core mouse' gesture and motion from an alternate input
       device.

       Motion gestures are defined as "crossing events" into and out of
       the login dialog window.  If the 'dwellmouselistener' GtkModule
       is loaded, alternative pointing devices are temporarily "latched"
       to the core pointer, such that motion from alternative devices
       results in movement of the onscreen pointer.

       In order to use text-to-speech services at login time (for instance,
       when using the Screen Reader in speech mode) on some operating
       systems, the gdm user must be made a member of the "audio" group

LOGGING
       GDM itself will use syslog to log errors or status. It can also log
       debugging information, if enabled in the gdm.conf file.

       Output from the various X servers is stored in the GDM log directory,
       which is configurable, but is usually <var>/log/gdm/. The output from
       the session can be found in a file called <display>.log. Four older
       files are also stored with .1 through .4 appended. These will be
       rotated as new sessions on that display are started. You can use these
       logs to view what the X server said when it started up.

       The output from the user session is redirected to ~/.xsession-errors
       before even the PreSession script is started. So it is not really
       necessary to redirect this again in the session setup script.  As is
       usually done. If the user session lasted less then 10 seconds, GDM
       assumes that the session crashed and allows the user to view this file
       in a dialog before returning to the login screen. This way the user can
       view the session errors from the last session and correct the problem
       this way.

       You can suppress the 10 second warning by returning code 66 from the
       Xsessionscript or from your session binary (the default Xsession
       script propagates those codes back). This is useful if you have some
       sort of special logins for which it is not an error to return less then
       10 seconds later, or if you setup the session to already display some
       error message and the GDM message would be confusing and redundant.

       The session output is piped through the GDM daemon and so the
       ~/.xsession-errors file is capped at about 200 kilobytes by GDM to
       prevent a possible denial of service attack on the session. An app could
       perhaps on reading some wrong data print out warnings or errors on the
       stderr or stdout. This could perhaps fill up the users home directory who
       would then have to log out and log back in to clear this. This could be
       especially nasty if quotas are set. GDM also correctly traps the XFSZ
       signal and stops writing the file, which would lead to killed sessions
       if the file was redirected in the old fashioned way from the script.

       Note that some distributors seem to override the ~/.xsession-errors
       redirection and do it themselves in their own Xsession script (set by
       the BaseXsession configuration key) which means that GDM will not be
       able to trap the output and cap this file. You also lose output from the
       PreSession script which can make debugging things harder to figure out
       as perhaps useful output of what is wrong will not be printed out. See
       the description of the BaseXsession configuration key for more
       information, especially on how to handle multiple display managers
       using the same script.

       Note that if the session is a failsafe session, or if GDM can't open
       this file for some reason, then a fallback file will be created in the
       /tmp directory named /tmp/xses-<user>.XXXXXX where the XXXXXX are some
       random characters.

       If you run a system with quotas set, it would be good to delete the
       ~/.xsession-errors in the PostSession script. Such that this log file
       doesn't unneccesairly stay around.

OPTIONS
       The gdm and gdm-binary commands take the following options:

       --help
              Gives a brief overview of the command line options.

       -nodaemon
              If this option is specified, then GDM does not fork into the
              background when run. You can use just a single dash with this
              option to preserve compatibility with XDM.

       --no-console
              Tell the daemon that it should not run anything on the console.
              This means that none of the local servers from the [servers]
              section of the gdm.conf configuration file will be run, and the
              console will not be used for communicating errors to the user.
              An empty [servers] section automatically implies this option.

       --preserve-ld-vars
              When clearing the environment internally, preserve all variables
              starting with LD_. This is mostly for debugging purposes.

       --version
              Print the version of the GDM daemon.

       --wait-for-go
             If started with this option, GDM will init, but only start the
             first local display and then wait for a GO message in the fifo
             protocol.  No greeter will be shown until the GO message is sent.
             Also flexiserver requests will be denied and XDMCP will not be
             started until GO is given. This is useful for initialization
             scripts which wish to start X early, but where you don't yet want
             the user to start logging in. So the script would send the GO to
             the fifo once it is ready and GDM will then continue.

       --monte-carlo-sqrt2

       The gdmchooser command accepts the following options:

       -xdmaddress=SOCKET
             Socket for xdm communication

       -clientaddress=ADDRESS
             Client address to return in response to xdm

       -connectionType=TYPE
             Connection type to return in response to xdm

       The gdmlogin, gdmgreeter, and gdmchooser programs accept the
       standard GTK+ options, refer to gnome-std-options(5).  These programs
       are launched by the GDM daemon and should not be run directly by the
       user.

RETURN VALUE
     Exit values are:

     0       Successful completion.

     !0      Error condition occurred.

FILES
       The sysadmin can specify the maximum file size GDM should accept in the
       gdm.conf file, and, if the face browser is enabled, a tunable maximum
       icon size is also enforced.  On large systems it is still advised to
       turn off the face browser for performance reasons. Looking up icons in
       homedirs, scaling and rendering face icons can take quite a long time.

       In general GDM is very reluctant regarding reading/writing of user
       files. For instance it refuses to touch anything but regular files.
       Links, sockets and devices are ignored.  The value of the
       "RelaxPermissions" parameter in the gdm.conf file determines whether
       GDM should accept files writable by the user's group or others.
       These are ignored by default.

       Note that normally it is assumed that the home directory is only readable
       by the user. However NFS traffic really goes "over the wire" and thus
       can be snooped. For setups with NFS directories you should really set
       the "UserAuthDir" parameter in the gdm.conf file to some local directory
       such as /tmp.  GDM will try to open the normal authorization file for
       reading as root, and if it fails, then it will conclude that it is on
       an NFS mount and it will automatically use UserAuthFBDir defined in
       the gdm.conf file, which is usually /tmp.  This can be changed by
       setting the "NeverPlaceCookiesOnNFS" parameter in the [security]
       section of the gdm.conf file to false.

       GDM Login Scripts and Session Files:

          /etc/X11/gdm/Init/<hostname>
          /etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default
          /etc/X11/gdm/Init/XDMCP
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/<hostname>
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/XDMCP
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/Default
          /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/<hostname>
          /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/XDMCP
          /etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default
          /etc/X11/gdm/Xsession
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/<hostname>
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/XDMCP
          /etc/X11/gdm/PostSession/Default
             GDM Login Scripts, described below

          /usr/share/xsessions/*.desktop
             Session files

          ~/.dmrc
             Default user session

          When the X server has been successfully started, GDM will try to run
          the script called Init/<displayname>. I.e. Init/:0 for the first local
          display.  If this file is not found, GDM will attempt to to run
          Init/<hostname>. I.e.  Init/somehost. If this still is not found, GDM
          will try Init/XDMCP for all XDMCP logins or Init/Flexi for all on
          demand flexible servers. If none of the above were found, GDM will run          Init/Default. The script will be run as root and GDM blocks until it
          terminates. Use the Init/* script for programs that are supposed to
          run alongside with the GDM login window.  xconsole for instance.
          Commands to set the background etc. goes in this file too.

          It is up to the sysadmin to decide whether clients started by the
          Init script should be killed before starting the user session. This
          is controlled with the "KillInitClients" parameter in gdm.conf.

          When the user has been successfully authenticated GDM tries the
          scripts in the PostLogin directory in the same manner as for the Init
          directory. This is done before any session setup is done, and so this
          would be the script where you might setup the home directory if you
          need to (though you should use the pam_mount module if you can for
          this). You have the $USER and $DISPLAY environment variables set for
          this script, and again it is run as root. The script should return 0
          on success as otherwise the user won't be logged in.  This is not
          true for failsafe session however.

          After the user session has been setup from the GDM side of things,
          GDM will run the scripts in the PreSession directory, again in the
          same manner as the Init directory. Use this script for local session
          management or accounting stuff. The $USER environment variable
          contains the login of the authenticated user and $DISPLAY is set to
          the current display. The script should return 0 on success. Any other
          value will cause GDM to terminate the current login process. This is
          not true for failsafe sessions however.  Also $X_SERVERS
          environmental variable is set and this points to a fake generated X
          servers file for use with the sessreg accounting program.

          After this the users session is started.  The available session
          executables are taken from the Exec= line in the .desktop files in
          the path specified by SessionDesktopDir.  The user picks from these
          sessions at login time and GDM will read the file ~/.dmrc for the
          user's default.  The default GNOME session uses the Xsession script.
          The script is run as the user, and really this is the user session.

          This script should really load the users profile and generally do all
          that is needed to launch a session. Since many systems reset the
          language selections done by GDM, GDM will also set the $GDM_LANG
          variable to the selected language.  You can use this to reset the
          language environmental variables after you run the users profile. If
          the user elected to use the system language, then $GDM_LANG is not
          set.

          When the user terminates his session, the PostSession script will be
          run.  Again operation is similar to Init, PostLogin and PreSession.
          Again the script will be run with root privileges, the slave daemon
          will block and the $USER environment variable will contain the name
          of the user who just logged out and $DISPLAY will be set to the
          display the user used, however note that the X server for this
          display may already be dead and so you shouldn't try to access it.
          Also $X_SERVERS environmental variable is set and this points to a
          fake generated x servers file for use with the sessreg accounting
          program.

          Note that the PostSession script will be run even when the display
          fails to respond due to an I/O error or similar.  Thus, there is no
          guarantee that X applications will work during script execution.

          Except for the Xsession script all of these scripts will also have
          the environment variable $RUNNING_UNDER_GDM set to yes, so that you
          could perhaps use similar scripts for different display managers. The
          Xsession will always have the $GDMSESSION set to the basename of the
          session that the user chose to run without the .desktop extension. In
          addition $DESKTOP_SESSION is also set to the same value and in fact
          this will also be set by KDM in future versions.

          Neither of the Init, PostLogin, PreSession or PostSession scripts are
          necessary and can be left out. The Xsession script is however
          required as well as at least one session .desktop file.

       Configuration Files:

          /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
          Contains GDM configuration and documentation.

       Themes:

          /usr/share/gdm/themes
          This can by configured with the GraphicalThemeDir parameter in
          gdm.conf.

       Face Browser:

          ~/.face
          User-defined icon to be used by GDM face browser.

       Gesture Listener Files:

          /etc/X11/gdm/modules/AccessDwellMouseEvents
          Configuration for the dwellmouselistner

          /etc/X11/gdm/modules/AccessKeyMouseEvents
          Configuration for the keymouselistner

       Logging:

           /var/log/gdm/<display>.log
           Output from Xserver for each session.  This can be configured with
           the LogDir parameter in gdm.conf.

           ~/.xsession-errors
           Output from user's session.

           /tmp/xsess-<user>.XXXXXXo
           Output from session in failsafe mode or if ~/.xsession-errors can
           not be written.

      Sockets:

          /tmp/.gdm_socket
          Temporary file used for GDM socket communications.

      Process-ID:

          /var/run/gdm.pid
          Stores the ProcessID for the running GDM daemon.  This can be
          configured with the PidFile parameter in gdm.conf.

      Xserver authentication directory:
          /var/lib/gdm
          Stores Xserver authentication files.  This can be configured with the
          ServAuthDir parameter in gdm.conf

ATTRIBUTES
     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

SEE ALSO
      gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1),
      gdmthemetester(1), gdm-restart(1M), gdm-safe-restart(1M),
      gdm-stop(1M), gdmconfig(1M), gnome-std-options(5), Xserver(1),
      pam(3PAM), logindevperm(4)

AUTHOR
      Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>
      George Lebl <jirka 5z com>
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>
      Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 by Martin K. Petersen
      Copyright (c) 2001, 2003, 2004 by George Lebl
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Red Hat, Inc.
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdmXnestchooser, gdmXnest

SYNOPSIS

       gdmXnestchooser [ --help ] [ --usage ]
                       [ -x, --xnest=STRING ]
                       [ -o, --xnest-extra-options=OPTIONS]
                       [ -n, --no-query ]
                       [ -d, --direct ] [-B, --broadcast ]
                       [ -b, --background ] [ --no-gdm-check ]
                       hostname

DESCRIPTION
        This command automatically gets the correct display number, sets up
        access, and runs Xnest with -indirect localhost.   This way you
        get an XDMCP chooser provided by your machine. You can also supply as
        an argument the hostname whose chooser should be displayed, so
        gdmXnestchooser somehost will run the XDMCP chooser from host somehost
        inside an Xnest.

        gdmXnest is a symbolic link to gdmXnestchooser.

OPTIONS
        -?, --help, --usage
             Gives a brief overview of the command line options.

        -x, --xnest=STRING
             Xnest command line, default is "Xnest"

         -o, --xnest-extra-options=OPTIONS
             Extra options for Xnest, default is no options.

         -n, --no-query
             Just run Xnest, no query (no chooser)

         -d, --direct
             Do direct query instead of indirect (chooser)

         -B, --broadcast
             Run broadcast instead of indirect (chooser)

         -b, --background
             Run in background

         --no-gdm-check
             Don't check for running GDM

EXAMPLES

        To run the XDMCP chooser from host somehost inside an Xnest:
             gdmXnestchooser somehost

        To connect to somehost directly run:
             gdmXnestchooser -d somehost

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1),
      gdmthemetester(1), gdm-restart(1M), gdm-safe-restart(1M),
      gdm-stop(1M), gdmconfig(1M), gnome-std-options(5)

AUTHOR
      Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>
      George Lebl <jirka 5z com>
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 by Martin K. Petersen
      Copyright (c) 2001, 2003, 2004 by George Lebl
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Red Hat, Inc.
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdmflexiserver - desc

SYNOPSIS

       gdmflexiserver [ -c, --command=COMMAND ] [-n, --xnest ]
                      [ -l, --no-lock ] [ -d, --debug ]
                      [ -a, --authenticate ] [ --monte-carlo-pi ]

DESCRIPTION
       The gdmflexiserver command which runs flexible (on demand) X servers.

       gdmflexiserver lets a user log in once and then quits.  This is,
       for example useful if you are logged in as user A, and user B wants
       to log in quickly but user A does not wish to log out.  The X server
       takes care of the virtual terminal switching so it works transparently.
       There is also a flexi server as an Xnest, that is an X server in a
       window. This is requested by running gdmflexiserver.

       If there is more than one server defined with flexible=true, then the
       user is given a dialog with those choices upon running gdmflexiserver

       The gdmflexiserver command option provides a way to send arbitrary
       commands to GDM and can be used to debug problems or in scripts,
       although gdmflexiserver does require X to be running.

COMMANDS
       gdmflexiserver accepts the following commands with the --command option:
           VERSION
           FLEXI_XSERVER
           FLEXI_XNEST
           CONSOLE_SERVERS
           ALL_SERVERS
           UPDATE_CONFIG
           GREETERPIDS
           QUERY_LOGOUT_ACTION
           SET_LOGOUT_ACTION
           SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION
           QUERY_VT
           SET_VT
           CLOSE

       These are described in detail below, including required arguments, response
       format, and return codes.

       VERSION: Query version
       Supported since: 2.2.4.0
       Arguments:  None
       Answers:
         GDM <gdm version>
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       AUTH_LOCAL: Setup this connection as authenticated for FLEXI_SERVER
                   Because all full blown (non-Xnest) servers can be started
                   only from users logged in locally, and here gdm assumes
                   only users logged in from gdm.  They must pass the xauth
                   MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 that they were passed before the
                   connection is authenticated.
       Note:       The AUTH LOCAL command requires the --authenticate option,
                   although only FLEXI XSERVER uses this currently.
       Supported since: 2.2.4.0
       Arguments:  <xauth cookie>
         <xauth cookie> is in hex form with no 0x prefix
       Answers:
         OK
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            100 = Not authenticated
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       FLEXI_XSERVER: Start a new X flexible server
         Only supported on connection that passed AUTH_LOCAL
       Supported since: 2.2.4.0
       Arguments:  <xserver type>
         If no arguments, starts the standard x server
       Answers:
         OK <display>
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            1 = No more flexi servers
            2 = Startup errors
            3 = X failed
            4 = X too busy
            6 = No server binary
            100 = Not authenticated
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       FLEXI_XNEXT: Start a new flexible Xnest server
       Supported since: 2.3.90.4
         Note: supported an older version from 2.2.4.0, later 2.2.4.2, but
         since 2.3.90.4 you must supply 4 arguments or ERROR 100 will be
         returned.
         This will start Xnest  using the XAUTHORITY file supplied and as the
         uid same as the owner of that file (and same as you supply).  You must
         also supply the cookie as the third argument for this
         display, to prove that you indeed are this user.  Also this file must
         be readable ONLY by this user, that is have a mode of 0600.  If this
         all is not met, ERROR 100 is returned.
         Note: The cookie should be the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1, the first one gdm
         can find in the XAUTHORITY file for this display.  If that's not what
         you use you should generate one first.  The cookie should be in hex
         form.
       Arguments:  <display to run on> <uid of requesting user>
                   <xauth cookie for the display> <xauth file>
       Answers:
         OK <display>
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            1 = No more flexi servers
            2 = Startup errors
            3 = X failed
            4 = X too busy
            5 = Xnest can't connect
            6 = No server binary
            100 = Not authenticated
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       CONSOLE_SERVERS: List all console servers, useful for linux mostly
        Doesn't list xdmcp and xnest non-console servers
       Supported since: 2.2.4.0
       Arguments:  None
       Answers:
         OK <server>;<server>;...

         <logged in user> can be empty in case no one logged in yet,
         and <vt> can be -1 if it's not known or not supported (on non-linux
         for example).  If the display is an xnest display and is a console one
         (that is, it is an xnest inside another console display) it is listed
         and instead of vt, it lists the parent display in standard form.

         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            1 = Not implemented
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       ALL_SERVERS: List all servers, including console, remote, xnest.  This
       Can for example be useful to figure out if the server you are on is
       managed by the gdm daemon, by seeing if it is in the list.  It is also
       somewhat like the 'w' command but for graphical sessions.
       Supported since: 2.4.2.96
       Arguments:  None
       Answers:
         OK <server>;<server>;...

         <logged in user> can be empty in case no one logged in yet

         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       UPDATE_CONFIG: Tell the daemon to update config of some key.  Any user
                   can really request that values are re-read but the daemon
                   caches the last date of the config file so a user can't
                   actually change any values unless they can write the
                   config file.  The keys that are currently supported are:
                     security/AllowRoot (2.3.90.2)
                     security/AllowRemoteRoot (2.3.90.2)
                     security/AllowRemoteAutoLogin (2.3.90.2)
                     security/RetryDelay (2.3.90.2)
                     security/DisallowTCP (2.4.2.0)
                     daemon/Greeter (2.3.90.2)
                     daemon/RemoteGreeter (2.3.90.2)
                     xdmcp/Enable (2.3.90.2)
                     xdmcp/Port (2.3.90.2)
                     xdmcp/PARAMETERS (2.3.90.2) (pseudokey, all the parameters)
                            xdmcp/MaxPending
                            xdmcp/MaxSessions
                            xdmcp/MaxWait
                            xdmcp/DisplaysPerHost
                            xdmcp/HonorIndirect
                            xdmcp/MaxPendingIndirect
                            xdmcp/MaxWaitIndirect
                            xdmcp/PingIntervalSeconds (only affects new connections)
                     daemon/TimedLogin (2.3.90.3)
                     daemon/TimedLoginEnable (2.3.90.3)
                     daemon/TimedLoginDelay (2.3.90.3)
                     greeter/SystemMenu (2.3.90.3)
                     greeter/ConfigAvailable (2.3.90.3)
                     greeter/ChooserButton (2.4.2.0)
                     greeter/SoundOnLoginFile (2.5.90.0)
                     daemon/AddGtkModules (2.5.90.0)
                     daemon/GtkModulesList (2.5.90.0)
       Supported since: 2.3.90.2
       Arguments:  <key>
         <key> is just the base part of the key such as "security/AllowRemoteRoot"
       Answers:
         OK
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            50 = Unsupported key
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       GREETERPIDS: List all greeter pids so that one can send HUP to them
       for config rereading.  Of course one must be root to do that.
       Supported since: 2.3.90.2
       Arguments:  None
       Answers:
         OK <pid>;<pid>;...
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       QUERY_LOGOUT_ACTION: Query which logout actions are possible
       Only supported on connections that passed AUTH_LOCAL.
       Supported since: 2.5.90.0
       Answers:
         OK <action>;<action>;...
            Where action is one of HALT, REBOOT or SUSPEND.  An empty list
            can also be returned if no action is possible.  A '!' is appended
            to an action if it was already set with SET_LOGOUT_ACTION or
            SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION.  Note that SET_LOGOUT_ACTION has precedence
            over SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION.
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            100 = Not authenticanted
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       SET_LOGOUT_ACTION:  Tell the daemon to halt/reboot/suspend after slave
       process exits.
       Only supported on connections that passed AUTH_LOCAL.
       Supported since: 2.5.90.0
       Arguments:  <action>
         NONE           Set exit action to 'none'
         HALT           Set exit action to 'halt'
         REBOOT         Set exit action to 'reboot'
         SUSPEND        Set exit action to 'suspend'

       Answers:
         OK
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            7 = Unknown logout action, or not available
            100 = Not authenticanted
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION:  Tell the daemon to halt/reboot/suspend after
       everybody logs out.  If only one person logs out, then this is obviously
       the same as the SET_LOGOUT_ACTION.  Note that SET_LOGOUT_ACTION has
       precendence over SET_SAFE_LOGOUT_ACTION if it is set to something other
       then NONE.  If no one is logged in, then the action takes effect
       immedeately.
       Only supported on connections that passed AUTH_LOCAL.
       Supported since: 2.5.90.0
       Arguments:  <action>
         NONE           Set exit action to 'none'
         HALT           Set exit action to 'halt'
         REBOOT         Set exit action to 'reboot'
         SUSPEND        Set exit action to 'suspend'

       Answers:
         OK
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            7 = Unknown logout action, or not available
            100 = Not authenticanted
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       QUERY_VT:  Ask the daemon about which VT we are currently on.
       This is useful for logins which don't own /dev/console but are
       still console logins.  Only supported on Linux currently, other places
       will just get ERROR 8.  This is also the way to query if VT
       support is available in the daemon in the first place.
       Only supported on connections that passed AUTH_LOCAL.
       Supported since: 2.5.90.0
       Arguments:  None
       Answers:
         OK <vt number>
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            8 = Virtual terminals not supported
            100 = Not authenticanted
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       SET_VT:  Change to the specified virtual terminal.
       This is useful for logins which don't own /dev/console but are
       still console logins.  Only supported on Linux currently, other places
       will just get ERROR 8.
       Only supported on connections that passed AUTH_LOCAL.
       Supported since: 2.5.90.0
       Arguments:  <vt>
       Answers:
         OK
         ERROR <err number> <english error description>
            0 = Not implemented
            8 = Virtual terminals not supported
            9 = Invalid virtual terminal number
            100 = Not authenticanted
            200 = Too many messages
            999 = Unknown error

       CLOSE Answers: None
       Supported since: 2.2.4.0

OPTIONS
       --help
              Print a usage summary.

       -c, --command=COMMAND
              Send the specified protocol command to gdm

       -n, --xnest
              Xnest mode

       -l, --no-lock
              Do not lock current screen

       -d, --debug
              Debugging output

       -a, --authenticate
              Authenticate before running --command

       --monte-carlo-pi

EXAMPLES

    To see console GDM version:

       $ gdmflexiserver --command=VERSION
       GDM 2.6.0.2

    To see all servers:

       $ gdmflexiserver --command=ALL_SERVERS
       OK :0,username

    To see console servers:

       $ gdmflexiserver --command=CONSOLE_SERVERS
       OK :0,username,-1

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1),
      gdmthemetester(1), gdm-restart(1M), gdm-safe-restart(1M),
      gdm-stop(1M), gdmconfig(1M), gnome-std-options(5)

AUTHOR
      Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>
      George Lebl <jirka 5z com>
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 1998, 1999 by Martin K. Petersen
      Copyright (c) 2001, 2003, 2004 by George Lebl
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Red Hat, Inc.
      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdmphotosetup - GDM Photo Setup

SYNOPSIS

       gdmphotosetup [ gnome-std-options ]

DESCRIPTION
       Allows the user to select an image that will be used as the user's
       photo by GDM's face browser, if enabled by GDM.  The selected file
       is stored as ~/.face.

OPTIONS
       gdmphotosetup supports the standard GTK+ options, refer to
       gnome-std-options(5)

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

FILES

    ~/.face
    The user's GDM face browser image.

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmsetup(1),
      gdmthemetester(1), gdm-restart(1M), gdm-safe-restart(1M),
      gdm-stop(1M), gdmconfig(1M), gnome-std-options(5)

AUTHOR
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdmsetup, gdmconfig - GDM Configuration Tool

SYNOPSIS

       gdmsetup, gdmconfig [ gnome-std-options ]

DESCRIPTION
       gdmconfig is a wrapper script for running gdmsetup for binary
       name compatibility.

       gdmsetup runs a graphical program for modifying the GDM
       configuration file, gdm.conf.  This tool may only be run as root.

       The configuration tool has 6 tabs: General, Standard greeter,
       Graphical greeter, Security, Accessibility, and XDMCP.

       The following configuration options may be edited with the tool.
       The gdm.conf section - key affected is listed in parens.

       General:
       + Whether the local greeter program is the Graphical or Standard
         greeter (daemon - Greeter)
       + Whether the remote greeter program is the Graphical or Standard
         greeter (daemon - RemoteGreeter)
       + Whether to use the 24 hour clock format (greeter - Use24Clock)
       + Welcome string (greeter - Welcome)
       + Remote Welcome string (greeter - RemoteWelcome)
       + Automatic Login selection (daemon - AutomaticLoginEnable)
       + Automatic Login username (daemon - AutomaticLogin)
       + Timed Login Selection (daemon - TimedLoginEnable)
       + Timed Login username (daemon - TimedLogin)
       + Timed Login delay (daemon - TimedLoginDelay)

       Standard Greeter:
       + Background image selection as none, image, or color (greeter -
         BackgroundType)
       + Background image (greeter - BackgroundImage)
       + Scale background image to fit (greeter - BackgroundScaleToFit)
       + Background color (greeter - BackgroundColor)
       + Only background color on remote displays (greeter -
         BackgroundRemoteOnlyColor)
       + Logo image (greeter - Logo)
       + Show chooseable user images or face browser (greeter - Browser)

       Graphical Greeter:
       + Theme selection (greeter - GraphicalTheme)
       + Install new theme
       + Delete theme

       Security:
       + Allow root to login with GDM (security - AllowRoot)
       + Allow root to login remotely with GDM (security - AllowRemoteRoot)
       + Allow remote timed logins (security - AllowRemoteAutoLogin)
       + Show actions menu (greeter - SystemMenu)
       + Allow configuration from the login screen (greeter - ConfigAvailable)
       + Allow running XDMCP chooser from the logins creen (greeter - ChooserButton)
       + Always disallow TCP connections to Xserver (security - DisallowTCP)

       Accessibility:
       + Enable accessibility modules (daemon - AddGtkModules)
       + Make a sound when login window is ready (greeter - SoundOnLogin)
       + Sound file selection (greeter - SoundOnLogin)

       XDMCP
       + Enable XDMCP (xdmcp - Enable)
       + Honour indirect requests (xdmcp - HonorIndirect)
       + Listen on UDP port (xdmcp - Port)
       + Maximum pending requests (xdmcp - MaxPending)
       + Maximum pending indirect requests (xdmcp - MaxPendingIndirect)
       + Maximum remote sessions (xdmcp - MaxSessions)
       + Maximum wait time (xdmcp - MaxWait)
       + Maximum indirect wait time (xdmcp - MaxWaitIndirect)
       + Displays per host (xdmcp - DisplaysPerHost)
       + Ping interval in seconds (xdmcp - PingIntervalSeconds)

OPTIONS
       --help
              Print a usage summary.

       gdmsetup also supports the standard GTK+ options, refer to
       gnome-std-options(5)

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

FILES

     /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
          Contains GDM configuration and documentation.  It can be modified by
          running gdmsetup or gdmconfig.

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1),  gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1),
      gdmphotosetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdm-restart(1M),
      gdm-safe-restart(1M), gdm-stop(1M), gnome-std-options(5)

AUTHOR
      Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron Sun COM>

      Copyright (c) 2003 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NAME
       gdmthemetester - GDM Theme Test Utility

SYNOPSIS

       gdmthemetester environment theme

DESCRIPTION
       A tool for viewing a theme outside of GDM.  Useful for testing or
       viewing themes.  gdmthemetester requires that the system support
       gdmXnest.

       Note that themes can display differently depending on the theme's
       "Show mode".  gdmthemetester allows viewing the themes in different
       modes by specifying the environment option.  Valid values and their
       meanings follow:

       console       - In console mode.
       console-timed - In console non-flexi mode.
       flexi         - In flexi mode.
       xdmcp         - In remote (XDMCP) mode.
       remote-flexi  - In remote (XDMCP) & flexi mode.

OPTIONS
       environment
              Can be one of: console, console-timed, flexi, remote-flexi,
              xdmcp

       theme
              Either the path name or the name of a theme to view.

ENVIRONMENT

       XNESTSIZE
              Can be set to <width>x<height> (e.g. 800x600) to test the
              theme at a specific resolution.

ATTRIBUTES

     See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attri-
     butes:

     | ATTRIBUTE TYPE                     | ATTRIBUTE NAME                     |
     | Availability                       | SUNWgnome-display-mgr              |
     | Interface stability                | External                           |

SEE ALSO
      gdm(1), gdm-binary(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1),
      gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdm-restart(1M), gdm-safe-restart(1M),