Re: how to open remote sessions

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 07:28:51PM -0300, Roberto F. Ligeiro Marques wrote:
>  Hello;
>
>  First of all, I have not so much experience with GDM
> (only as a "normal" user), but i need to develop
> something that i think that should use GDM.
>
>  My problem: I need to save a gnome session in one
> machine and open this session in other machine.
>  I´m thinking in save the session (gnome-session-save
> command) copy the file $HOME/.gnome/session to the
> destination machine and open a gdm socket session
> there... how can i open a gdm socket session?

I'm not exactly sure what you want.  the gnome session you saved will only
really be the positions of windows and the list of apps that are open.  If
that's what you want then it will just work to move the file and relogin
elsewhere.

If you actually want to migrate your session you're currently out of luck.
The sunray machines do something similar (they migrate the display), and
perhaps at some point in the future gdm will be able to do that as well
if someone works on it enough.  You can already sort of do that with vnc
I suppose.

If you actually want to migrate the runtime state of the apps, then you're
really out of luck.  That isn't likely to be possible anytime soon.  (if
ever).  That is at least for desktop apps which I assume you mean.

> another question is, i develop a process that do the
> work of finding the other machine and copy the file
> ($HOME/.gnome/session) there, in this process i
> authenticate the user in the remote machine, so, if
> could be possible, i would like to open the gdm socket
> session whitout have to do the authentication ...

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'gdm socket session' ...

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.