Re: gdm always starts default session no matter what choice users do at login screen

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:08:51AM +0100, artur wrote:
> Hi; I hope I sent this post to right place;
>
> I have problem with gdm 2.4.4 (redhat fedora). I have added a few other
> sessions then gnome & kde (windowmaker, xfce, fluxbox & mwm :-) ) to
> gdm. They displays
> correct on login screen, but no matter what choice is done gdm always
> starts the default session. Actually if I choose plain window manaer like
> mwm or fluxbox then it works; but if I choose xfce or window maker then
> gdm loggs in into either kde or gnome (depending what I made default by
> switchdesk).  Now there is entry in switchdesk for window maker to make
> it default but not for xfce. Unfortunately I don't know how to add a new
> choice to
> switchdesk. I have added a script in /usr/share/apps/switchdesk for
> xfce but switchdesk desn't seem to care about it . Only way to start
> xfce is to login failsafe and then start it by manually running startup
> script for xfce - which is a bit annoying :(.
>
> doesn anyone know what is the problem &/or how to fix it? Why doesn't
> gdm logg into the choosed session rather then default? And at last - how
> to get ridd of that annoying
> notification that says "this is the failsafe session" (must it be really
> neccessary to see it and every time failsafe is started? ). I  guess it
> is ok for people new to X, but it should be the way to turned it off.

Failsafe is not supposed to be something you log in through every day.  What
I'm guessing is happening for you is that there is some sort of error
starting the session and it reverts to the gnome failsafe or default or
whatever it is reverting to these days ...  It would be useful to look at
what gdm tells to syslog (/var/log/messages probably) and if that doesn't
help, try turning on debugging in the config file and look at syslog again.

Also make sure that you are adding sessions correctly, that the Exec= line
of the .desktop file truly exists and is executable by the user.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.