Re: registration in wtmp/utmp

On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 09:24:49PM +0200, Jens Zechlin wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a problem about the registration of my login in wtmp/utmp. (Perhaps
> the location of my problem is in another location, but I don't know
> exacly) When I login with gdm I can't execute shutdown and I also don't
> get the shutdown option in the logoutmenu og Gnome. I'am using gdm
> 2.4.0.4 on a Mandrake 8.2 System with Gnome2 (build with garnome).
> When I login with xdm or on a console (and then startx) everything works
> fine.
> I need this feature not only for shutdown, but also for a package to
> access the serial port with Java.
>
> Can anybody help me, or is this a Mandrake-specific problem?

This looks more like a pam issue rather then a wtmp/utmp issue.  As far as I
remember garnome installs all into it's own directory and doesn't contaminate
the system, but for gdm, you need to contaminate the system for it to work
completely correctly.  As in, you must specify the pam directory correctly
when configuring (some info on that in the README file).  I have never
installed garnome, so I don't really know.  It could also be that the pam
files shipped with gdm are not compatible with mandrake 8.2.  It may be worth
while to look at the installationof the mandrake standard gdm package then
and reuse the pam setup from it.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   In the fight between you and the world, back the world.