gdm newbie prob

Hello,

  I'm relative new to gdm (used only in the older days); and found a
problem which annoys me recently. It can be a well-known problem, excuse me
if it was reported already.

  I use the Helix-Gnome package (version numbered 2.0-0.beta4-helix) of gdm
under Debian woody. At the host startup gdm starts up at last, and my
monitor goes apm-poweroff immediately. That happens only in only 95% of the
cases, otherwise it starts up ok.

  What I usually do is to switch back to console "blindly" (my monitor
degausses and turns on), login as root and stop and start again init.d/gdm.
In this case, gdm always starts up without any problem.

What should I do to avoid that problem?

regards,
Christopher
--
GNUPG 1024D/44CE8361  Christopher Jozsa  (dYn)  <dynax vlug vein hu>
Key fingerprint = 52E4 07A6 3954 9F6F 574A  EFD1 661B 9331 44CE 8361