Re: installing gconf defaults - newbie question

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 14:31 +0000, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using gconf with my application, and I want to install defaults
> with gconf when the app is installed. I have been searching through
> documentation and mailing lists but can't find the answer, though I am
> sure it is simple.
>
> I want to install schema files, and ensure that default values are set
> so that when I do
>
>   gconftool-2 -g /apps/blah/someKey
>
> as a normal user, I will get the default value. As root, if I do
>
> GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE="" gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule blah.schemas
>
> I see the schema files are installed and applied. But if I then look
> for a key as a normal user, I don't get a default value.
>
> I have been reading through the Gnome admin guide, and it suggests
> that to set default values, I have first to make all users logout,
> then use
>   gconftool-2 --direct --config-source=blah
>
> But if I am writing an rpm install script, how can I make all users logout?

	The problem is that if you install schemas
into /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults while a user's gconfd is running,
then the daemon doesn't notice the changes you've made
in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults.

	Since GNOME 2.8, though, you can do "killall -HUP gconfd-2" to make all
GConf daemons on the system reload their databases.

Cheers,
Mark.