Step by step

Hmm, what about a more step by step approach?

Let's forget the playground of me and Kristof on cvs.freax.be :-) nor am
I even already talking about a DBUS port. But for preparation of such
happenings. Both me and Kristof are convinced that some filemoves are
necessary to bring GConf into shape.

Once done, it will become more easy to create that large patch that will
turn GConf into a DBUS-only technology.

Moving files on a CVS-managed project is possible without loosing
history data. That way the delta of the changes is perhaps better
traceable? But you need access to the actual repository. I'm confident
that the gnome-admin team isn't going to object doing this:

For example (but I'm sure most CVS-aware developers know this)

ssh cvs.gnome.org
cd /cvs/gnome/GConf/backends/
mkdir xml
cp *,v xml/
exit

cd ~/cvs/gnome/gconf/backends/
cvs tag BEFORE_MOVE
cvs update -d
cvs rm markup-tree.c xml-backend.c xml-cache.h xml-dir.h
cvs rm xml-entry.h gconf-merge-tree.c markup-backend.c
cvs rm markup-tree.h xml-cache.c xml-dir.c xml-entry.c  xml-test.c
echo "SUBDIRS=xml" > Makefile.am
vi xml/Makefile.am (adjust some paths)
cvs commit -m "Moved some files to 'xml/'"

The gconftool might be a good starter?

ssh cvs.gnome.org
cd /cvs/gnome/gconf/
mkdir gconftool
cp gconf/gconftool.c,v gconftool/
exit

cd ~/cvs/gnome/gconf/
mkdir gconftool
cvs tag BEFORE_MOVE
cvs add gconftool
cvs rm gconf/gconftool.c
vi gconf/Makefile.am (remove stuff about gconftool)
mv gconf/gconftool.c gconftool
vi gconftool/Makefile.am (put stuff for gconftool here)
vi Makefile.am (add gconftool to SUBDIRS)
cvs add gconftool/gconftool.c gconftool/Makefile.am

etc etc

If it's way to much of a hassle for you personally, I'd be more than
happy if I would have permission to do this, and access to the gnome-cvs
server. I would probably need lets say an hour to redo all wat did in
our playground (but without the DBUS stuff). I can also create a diff of
all the Makefile.am and configure.in files to get things right in one
patch-step (after "copying" the files on the cvs-server happened of
course).

I can also create a script which the gnome-admins can start that will
copy all ,v files to the desired locations. Copying them wont break
history nor current releases and branch-tags/tags.

It's just a suggestion of course :-).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org