Re: gconf.xml.defaults permissions

Christophe Fergeau <teuf users sourceforge net> writes:
> Since gconf.xml.defaults must be 755, and /etc/gconf/1/path must be present
> if an app wants to be able to use a global schema, why aren't those two
> files created when make install is run ?

The install doesn't create the /etc/gconf/1/path file either - the
idea is that you may want to use a different backend or something. The
install doesn't create any backends.

I've now fixed the Red Hat RPM to properly create these files and set
perms on them. If we can get Ximian and Debian packages fixed that
should cover a lot of people.

> Another question : some apps seem to put their schema file in
> /etc/gconf/schemas. Is it necessary?

Yes, the reason for this is so that sysadmins can re-install schema
files in a different backend, if they decide to change which backend
they are using.

> Otherwise, galeon cvs is now using gconf instead of gnome_config, and it's
> working great, apart from this issue with global schemas

Glad to hear it! Please report any problems you find.