Re: how to uninstall a specific application

> I want to know how i can uninstall a specific application....Like say
> if I have installed gaim(older version) and now i want to install a
> newer version of it....then i need to uninstall the first one and
> install the newer version.....Say if i have done a make clean in my
> gaim directory of garnome....then how do i uninstall it...

Generally, you don't need to uninstall -- unless there are some major
changes which would leave stale files behind, which are potentially
harmful to the new installation.

So in most cases it is fine to just build and install a new version and
don't care about the old install. Just make sure the new one is used.
Often you'd need to restart bonobo for that. Restarting gnome-panel (the
Applications menu in particular) and running the update foo again might
be necessary also.

The 'uninstall' target is not implemented in GARNOME yet. As long as you
still have the GARNOME build tree around, you can uninstall manually
though -- provided the package actually implements uninstall:

  cd <meta-garball>/<garball>
  cd work/main.d/*/
  make uninstall

If you cleaned the garball already, you'd likely have to build it (the
old version) again to run the package provided 'make uninstall'. This
sure is feasible only, if you cleaned a particular garball only, rather
than the entire tree...

HTH

...guenther