menu editing in gnome-2.10.x: continued...

I have Travis Watkins' <alleykat gmail com>  python-based GNOME menu
editor running on a PPC running YDL-4.0.1 and garnome-2.10.0.1:

        http://dev.realistanew.com/menu-editor/

This tool allows user to create, destroy, and modify ".desktop" files.

Like gnome-menu-editor-0.1 reported on earlier, this tool is also in its
infancy and is evolving rapidly, but is useful in its current form.

As a measure of success, I used the tool to add a member to the
Applications / Internet menu for firefox.

Looking at the source code, I see some hard-coded paths in "menu-editor"

	/usr/share/applications
	/usr/share/pixmaps

I installed garnome-2.10.0.1 under /opt/garnome so I replaced the above
with hard-coded paths with:

	/opt/garnome/applications
	/opt/garnome/pixmaps

Doing so has the effect of modifying the contents of

	/opt/garnome/applications

rather than

	/usr/share/applications

which contains GNOME-2.6 code installed from YDL-4.0.1

There are mysteries to explore.  The previous 0.4.2.1-2 version ran only
as root [because of file system permissions]. The current 0.4.3 version
can be run as root or a non-root user. A different set of information is
displayed in each case, which is suggestive.

-Joseph

--
joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net