Re: Gnome menu empty after installation

[Sorry, back from holidays today, I wasn't in the office on friday]

guenter wrote:

Well, FWIW, that was a snipped from my own 'update' named script, which
works for me and  does exactly what we are talking about...

But not for me :-(

... there are no apps listed on my freshly compiled garnome 2.10.1.
What to do? How do I (re)generate the menus?

XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg

export XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

$GARNOME/bin/update-desktop-database
$GARNOME/bin/update-mime-database $GARNOME/share/mime

Run the above commands as the user who built GARNOME and set $GARNOME
before. Log in again.

Unfortunately this does not change anything. $GARNOME is set to "/opt/gnome".

So, is that your GARNOME $main_prefix?

Yes, that's my $main_prefix.

*sigh*  I rewrote the README about "building as root" to be more strong.
There is no reason at all, why anyone needs to build as root. Just do
NOT build as root.

Allright, but I think it has nothing do to with the missing menu entries.

Where does GNOME store the menu? Somewhere in /opt/gnome/share? I did not find it.

I just did a quick check. Running without -v does not spew anything.
Which includes *no error messages*. Running with -v does spew a lot of
warnings like you mentioned. There is nothing wrong with that.

The same on my computer.

OK, so what did you run *exactly*?

GARNOME=/opt/gnome
export GARNOME
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$GARNOME/etc/xdg
export XDG_DATA_DIRS XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
$GARNOME/bin/update-desktop-database [takes about 7 seconds]
$GARNOME/bin/update-mime-database $GARNOME/share/mime

>Why do you think it does not work?

Because there are still no menu entries like I know from a precompiled GNOME version on Debian or SuSE.

Did you log in again? After building GARNOME, did you kill bonobo?

Yes, I did this several times.

Any more ideas?

Greetings, Bernd

--
Bernd Münt                   Durchwahl: 030/69032-509
euroscript Deutschland GmbH  Zentrale:  030/69032-300