gnome-system-monitor root problem

Hello, I'm using garnome-2.9.4, although this applies to arch as well.

When installing this package the following happens:
1) it informs me that I need root acces.  Fine, I type in my pw and it
installs libgnomesu just fine.
2) it gets back to gnome-system-monitor and immediately errors out
giving me a generic message about needing root access for libgnomesu
and gnome-system monitor and how I need to remove those dirs if I
don't have root access.

Looking at the makefile it seems that there is a logical mistake in
the pre-extract code.

>From a discussion on IRC i do realize that this is somewhat of a hack
to get around the new need for root access for libgnomesu.

anyhow this is the current makefile portion:

pre-extract:
       @if [ `id -u` = "0" ] ; then \
               $(MAKE) -C ../libgnomesu install ; \
       else \
               echo " ==> Gnome-system-monitor requires libgnomesu" ; \
               echo " ==> You need to be root to install libgnomesu" ; \
               echo " ==> Please provide your root passwd" ; \
               if [ -x `which sudo` -a -e /etc/sudoers ] ; then \
                       sudo sh -c "$(MAKE) -C ../libgnomesu install" ; \
               elif [ -x `which su` ] ; then \
                       su -m -c "$(MAKE) -C ../libgnomesu install" ; \
               fi ; \
               echo " *** If you do not have root access then you need to:" ; \
               echo " *** rm -rf gnome-system-monitor libgnomesu" ; \
               exit 2 ; \
       fi

I feel that it should be like this, or at least something similar: