2.8.0 Stability problems

I have built 2.8.0. It all went smoothly and works. However I seem to have stability problems. Applications and applets crash out at various times. There is no pattern to this. I am building on RH9 up2date April 2004 ( EOL ). Brand new amd 2500+ with via KM400 chip set. The only odd thing is I am using the versa graphics driver as the Unichrome drivers will only build on XFree86 4.4.

i am starting to ask myself what could be amiss. I run Mozilla 1.7.3 Open Office and Lotus ORG under Wine. These are built outside of garnome and I start to wonder about dependencies. First in line is GTK, can I be sure these apps are not picking up old RH versions. The Environment within gnome would say not, but ???.

I have tried running these by launching twm instead of gnome-session and then starting multiple copies of all at the same time. The system seems stable. The next candidate is metacity although I have seen no problems reported on the web.

I am fairly sure that all the crashes are segment violations. In some cases Xfree even dies segv sig 11 !

It may be hardware but I dont think so as I can load the system without gnome and all seems fine.

So just in case one of you nice people is going to say " I had that problem as well" I post this shot in the dark

Many thanks

Mike