compile stopped at epiphany, mozilla

I was happily compiling away 2.8.0 when it stopped at

checking for mozilla-gtkmozembed mozilla-xpcom... Package mozilla-gtkmozembed was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `mozilla-gtkmozembed.pc'
No package 'mozilla-gtkmozembed' found

What is the easiest way to fix this?  I've already copiled the version of Mozilla that came with garnome and tried to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH to that location but still no luck.

Thanks

Jim

Jim Maas  jamaas at btinternet dot com