Question about bootstrap

Actually, I have two questions.
1.) How can I tell which of the bootstrap packages I need to
    install?  Trial and error?  Crystal ball?
2.) I would prefer to install all of them, thinking that the
    compile time and disk space is worth less than my increasingly
    scarce brain cells.  But the package dlcompat fails to
    configure.  If I just delete this, will it be ok?  It seems
    to be something for darwin users, not linux users.  Is there
    a way to tell the bootstrap makefile what to skip?
3.) Is it ok if I ask three questions?  What if I decide to
    add another package which I discover is really a prerequisite,
    like the jpg packages.  Can I just add them here, with the
    appropriate glue files and format, or do I have to do something
    more elaborate?

AntaĆ­dankon.  (TIA)
--
Codex Gratia Codici.
bill white griggsinst org                 Griggs Research Institute