Compiling FONTCONFIG on MAC OSX

Hello list,

I've been trying to compile Gnome on a MAC OSX 10.3 system. I'm using 0.30.1 and I'm starting with the bootstrap directory. (I've compiled some of the pre-reqs and have used some of Jay Talkingtons patches [http://smartasfuck.com].) But I'm trying to get garnome to compile as clean as possible (if possible).

I should also say that I have limited knowledge with build systems, have some knowledge of C and can program in Java all day long. So... I'm dangerous but dumb.

Anyway... when compiling FONTCONFIG from the bootstrap/fontconfig directory with make install. I get errors. Here are some examples:

1.
{...After a bunch of things compile cleanly...}
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link cc -g -I/Users/mcoakley/garnome/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -O2 -pipe -L/Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o libfontconfig.la -rpath /Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib -version-info 1:4:0 fcatomic.lo fcblanks.lo fccache.lo fccfg.lo fccharset.lo fcdbg.lo fcdefault.lo fcdir.lo fcfreetype.lo fcfs.lo fcinit.lo fclang.lo fclist.lo fcmatch.lo fcmatrix.lo fcname.lo fcpat.lo fcstr.lo fcxml.lo -L/Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib -lfreetype -lz -lexpat ../libtool: line 3579: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library: command not found
{...repeats 5 times more...}

2.
*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lfreetype.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libfreetype and none of the candidates passed a file format test *** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.3.dylib ../libtool: line 3579: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library: command not found

And I get this error for libraries freetype, z, expat and c. I have verified that those libraries are there though.

3.
cc -g -I/Users/mcoakley/garnome/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -O2 -pipe -o .libs/fc-cache fc-cache.o -L/Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L../src/.libs -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lz -L/usr/local/lib -lexpat ld: warning suggest use of -bind_at_load, as lazy binding may result in errors or different symbols being used symbol _FT_List_Remove used from dynamic library /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib(ftbase.o) not from earlier dynamic library /Users/mcoakley/garnome/lib/libfreetype6.dylib(libfreetype6.3.4.dylib- master.o)

The last line of that error repeats a ton of times and then the build ends.

BUT... if I make clean in the bootstrap/fontconfig/work/main.d/fontconfig-2.2.1 and then run make it builds cleanly. So I am assuming it is a linker error or at least a parameter to the linker but thats were my knowledge stops. Anyone out there that can help me.

Thanks,

Mike