Re: 2.6.0 versus 2.5.92 on Solaris build problems (2) - SOLVED

Hello Michael, others.

> > This was libogg (my addon for Solaris), but perfectly the same error
> was
> > dispalyed while building esound and librsvg+libcroco.
> >
> > I've searched Google, but the results are confusing. IT MUST somehow be
> > related with Solaris linker, which is not GNU.
>
> ld doesn't understand that it is supposed to build a shared library.
> According to the solaris ld man page, -G is the flag to build a shared
> library.  Also, according to the gcc ( version 3.3.3 ) man page,

I have read the manual pages and did some googling too. After an hour I've
looked at the compilation and HAVE FOUND IT.

The fix however is really really cute. The bug was not in linker, neither in
the compiler and neither in the makefile/configure suite. The make process
contained some warnings about "grep" and its invalid options. Yes, on Solaris
there are two greps, one Solaris grep and one GNU. The gnu version is
/usr/sfw/bin/ggrep and (how funny) is NOT part of default PATH, or it just is
not called "grep" but ggrep.

This was my fault, as I already did a /opt/mybin directory containing symlinks
to GNU versions of software (fileutils, textutils, gcc etc) and I use this
directory in gar.conf's PATH variable. But the grep symlink was missing, so
the system was confused by Solaris grep.

Grrr.

So the resolution was pretty clear, it was my fault and not the fault of
upgraded packages. I've tested the tree compiles fine now.

So thanks for interest, fixed now. Any guys doing the same on Solaris, that's
the hint.

Regards,
VIX
--

  Ing. Ivan Noris
  System engineer, Business Global Systems, a.s.