Cannont open font file for font Bitsream Vera Sans 10

I just downloaded garnome .92 and I get the following error when I try to run gnome for the first time.. I have check with fc-list and it says that it is in the list.. I have messed around with make the fonts local for the user in .fonts and still no luck. Ive run mkfontdir and all that fun stuff. I am so lost I think I am past the point of funny. :(. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard Blumel (RevSlowmo)
revslowmo earthlink net

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
SESSION_MANAGER=local/cranium:/tmp/.ICE-unix/31729

** (gnome-session:31729): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Bitstream Vera Sans 10

(gnome_segv:31788): Gtk-WARNING **: Ignoring the separator setting

** (gnome_segv:31788): WARNING **: Cannot open font file for font Bitstream Vera Sans 10