Permission errors when starting GARNOME

I recently used GARNOME 0.27.1 to install Gnome 2.4.  I was the root
user when I was installing gnome.  Therefore, the garnome directory is
located in /root.  I made a copy of the entire garnome directory in my
regular home directory.  I then changed the oner of every file in
$HOME/garnome to my regular user recursively.

However, when I try to start GARNOME (using the first startup described
on Garnome's home page), Garnome won't start because it is looking for
files in /root/garnome.  Note: that in the startup script
GARNOME=$HOME/garnome (so the files in $HOME/garnome should be used not
the ones in /root).

But, when Garnome starts there are tons of "Permission Error" messages.
I can however start gnome-2.4 as root.  The only problem is starting it
as a regular user.  What should I do?

Thanks
Dom