Re: Evolution still isn't working

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 10:51, guenther wrote:

> > > Actually I've been running evo-1.4.4 for a while now via red-carpet and
> > > it's pretty stable with gnome-2.2.
> >
> > Yeap, should have qualified it under gmome-2.4X. But this is the garnome
> > list and we are running 2.4X aren't we? (how is that for a lame excuse
> > :-))
> > Anyhow while you are on it. I saw that if you do not have an icon
> > associated with a file type and you attach a file to an email, nothing
> > shows up in the attachment pane in evolution, if you open an email send
> > to you it will show the usual selection.
> > Can you verify this and test it under gnome2.2 with evo 1.4.  Also give
> > us a hint which icon shows up if any, my guess is we some how lost a
> > default icon in gtk.
> > BTW I use Bluecruve as a theme, just in case your system some how works.
> > As a work around assign icons to file types you want to attach to
> > evolution mail, works for me. I just declare everything to be txt :-).
>
> Ronald,
>
> I am running Evolution 1.4.4 on Gnome 2.2 (Mandrake 9.1), too. I can
> verify anything you want -- unfortunately I did not understand exactly
> what you are after.

Ok let me try again, I'm still working on my first coffee (no guaranties
I know what I'm talking about).
Create one file with some unusual and one with a usual extension.
Like:
touch myfile.xxx
touch myfile.txt

Now create a new email (can be empty) and attach the two files. If both
attachments show up, which icons or text are displayed.

Under gnome-2.4-rc1 one would have to go under
"Applications->Desktop Preference->Advanced->File Types and Programs"
and edit the file type association say for "Documents->Pain Text->Plain
text document" and assign an icon.

After that the .txt will show up in the attachment pane while the .xxx
will not. And gtk will show an error that there is no icon for .xxx
files, hence that's why I believe no default icon under gnome-2.4-rc1 no
display at least in evolution. Or you have to assign an icon for all
possible file extensions.

BTW: "File Types and Programs" might be under Desktop Preference in your
setup.

Now how is that for more confusion.
Ronald