Re: Issues using garnome on Solaris x86

> - A general GNOME problem is that all the *-config systems fail to set
> RPATH in their --libs output
>
> I've just manually hacked the *.pc files and *-config scripts to include a
> -R for each -L. I really wish the GNOME folks didn't assume everyone will
> hack their ld.so config or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH...

I fought that battle back in 2000 when I originally did some
porting work on Gnome for Solaris x86.   Despite putting
changes into the configure scripts so that the -R flags
would get propogated into config scripts, it was always an
uphill battle with folks who believe that global ld.so
configs or LD_LIBRARY_PATHs are appropriate.  The other big
problem for configure scripts is that mostly assume that
you have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ld.so config setup.

I can't count the number of times I had to configure like:
env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<path> .configure ...
to get some software to configure properly.

It's just the cost of doing Solaris. :-)