nautilus drawing no desktop icons

Hello,

I encountered a problem with my desktop icons. They are simply not there
:-( I had a previous install of Gnome2 packages on my PC (SuSE/Ximian
rpms) where i switched off nautilus drawing icons on the desktop. (there
was an option in the nautilus settings) I would like to re-enable this
now, but cannot find the switch nor the config file.
BTW, a new user has the standard icons on the desktop.
I am using garnome-0.21.2 and sawfish as WM.

Thanks for any hint.

Martin