RE: Base to Build From

> From: Sid Boyce [mailto:sboyce blueyonder co uk]
>
> 	I have tried various versions of garnome and cvsgnome
> over quite a
> period and have not ever got a successful build. If you start
> out with a
> working gnome from a distro, nearly every new app you try to
> build will
> require a succession of update upon update packages,

Are you talking about the meta/gnome-desktop part, or something else.
There's so much in garnome that something is bound to break, but it
shouldn't be too hard to get meta/gnome-desktop to work. There are
occasional one-off problems, but let's face it, you are building from
source.

> you get
> so far and
> run out of road and you are left with a broken desktop into
> the bargain.

While there is some risk of corrupting your user-specific desktop settings,
you won't damage the installed software because garnome installs in a
different prefix. You can just switch back to using your regular session in
the regular prefix.

> I live in hope of success one fine day, but it seems to be in
> shifting
> sand. I appreciate the guys are working hard toward that end,
> but it may
> be a long hard slog from where we are now.
> 	I suspect the developers' boxes have quite a few things
> installed that
> makes for success. The docs give a list of pre-reqs, but that's never
> the full list.
> Regards
> Sid.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com
Remember to use the "Reply To All" feature with mailing lists.